All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Rom Scanning behavior of gameex

CharlesLam

So I have been fairly happy with what I have been able to get gameex to do, but I ran into an issue on a setup I am doing for a friend. segaCD images show up fine, but when a rom is renamed (like for one that is misspelled), it does not update in gameex. this causes gameex to try to load a file that isn't there. is there a way to perform a manual rom scan for emulators? I have run the setup wizard a couple of times (while not making any changes) hoping it would notice the changes but so far it has not.

Thanks,

Edited by tthurman
Moved to GameEx General

Hi Charles,

So, a few things to keep in mind.

• The image files (title, snapshot, boxart, etc will be displayed properly if the filename of the image exactly matches the filename of the rom), so it is understandable that the images are working properly.
  • You can force GameEx to rebuild the cache files for an emulator by deleting the 'cache' files in the GameEx\Data Directory. For example, if you want to clear the cache on only one emulator, go into the setup wizard to find out which emulator number it is (such as Emulator 3). Next, in the GameEx\data directory, do a search for *cache*. In the resulting files, find the seven cache files that correspond to the emulator (such as EMU_3.xxx) and delete them. GameEx will rebuild the cache files the next time you run the program.

You have three options (that I am aware of) for making a misspelled rom name show up properly in your game list.

• Use a Mapfile. Within the mapfile, you specify exactly what roms will be displayed and you can customize the name to be whatever you want. For example: Alien vs. Predator (U) [!].smc "Alien VS Predator" would display the Alien vs. Predator (U) [!].smc rom as Alien VS Predator. I personally use mapfiles for everything except mame so I can have complete control over what titles are displayed and how the names are displayed. It is a fair amount of extra work on the setup time, but the perfectionist part of me keeps telling me it's worth it. :)
  • Use Use Database Name in the Emulator Setup, which will (of course), use the name listed in the emulator database. Of course, if this is what you are doing and the name has the misspelling, your best bet would be to create a post specifically about the spelling error so that greatflash can correct it for a future GameEx release.
  • If you are not using the database to display gameinfo, you could just change the name of the romfile and image files...However, I am betting that you are using the databases since it is one of the best features of GameEx, so this is likely not the best choice.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful.

• Like 6

I don't believe there are any spelling mistakes in the sega cd database, but if that is the case, please let me know and I will happily correct it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps you have the extensions hidden in your Windows.

Try entering "EMU_9*.*cache" in the search field (no quotes). Any files that are found with this search are the files that can be deleted to clear the cache on that emulator.

If nothing comes up, then I am at a bit of a loss. At that point, you may want to post your gamex.ini file and state the name of the emulator you are trying to work with.

Deleted cache files for emulator 8, still now just showing "No Games Found", I just doublechecked and the way that i have it set up is to scan subfolders. when switched to a different emulator group it will default that,, and so when i change it i have to make sure it is set to scan sub-folders. still tinkering.

I was able to get it working. its frustrating when certain things get saved while other important options dont get saved. I guess the pink elephant in the room is, why it didnt recreate the cache in the bloody first place when i know for a fact it was correctly set in the emu 9 group.