All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

December 2014 GOTM Winner: ExedExes - 311,583 (link)

Crystal Castles
Crystal Castles Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 ExedExes 311,583 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
2 Yung-Jedi 240,857 Yung-Jedi's Hi-Score Entry
3 Mame Offender 208,597 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
4 murve33 181,903 murve33's Hi-Score Entry
5 Luigimaker 161,810 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
6 MNMax21 144,371 MNMax21's Hi-Score Entry
7 GimmeClassics 84,217 GimmeClassics's Hi-Score Entry
8 hansolo77 58,612 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
9 rtkiii 52,760 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
10 wolfman24 49,198 wolfman24's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 02-10-2018

plus10.jpg

1. Buzzin69 - 31,712 (link)
  2. helpman - 13,560 (link)

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Crystal Castles:

ROMSet: ccastles or ccastlesj (read about it here)
Service Mode: Off
Game Difficulty: Medium
Starting Lives: 3
Extra Lives: Yes
Special Rules: You may freely use any of the hidden warps // Continues are not allowed.

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!
If you want to check your game settings > hit F2 when starting the game || use "Ctrl" to select a menu option and "A" to advance.

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

• Like 1

We introduce December's GOTM.........Crystal Castles !!

The player controls a cartoon bear by the name of Bentley Bear, who has to collect gems located throughout 3d rendered castles. All castles consists of a maze of hallways filled with gems and bonus objects, and also includes stairs, elevators and tunnels that the player can use as shortcuts !

Good luck and have fun :)

~ HS Team

• Like 1

Well, it's a starting place....

Nice to see you back MNMax ! You're welcome anytime :) You've climbed 3 spots at our Leaderboard with this very nice score B)

Haven't played it in a while but still manage to remember everything.

ExedExes - 221,341

Crystal Castles - 231,127

Let the Games begin ! We're off for a nice GOTM battle :)

Updated LB

It has come to our attention that the romset required for this game "ccastles" requires the use of a trackball to play. To make things easier, we've decided to allow an alternative romset "ccastlesj" (where the j is for joystick). If you play with a MAP file for the highscore game listings, you'll have to manually edit this to add the alternate rom to the list. All you have to do is add an additional line to the .map file (edit in notepad)...

ccastlesj|Crystal Castles (joystick version)

The (joystick version) is optional, but it should help you figure out which one is which. If you want to permanently change it, look for the "ccastles|Crystal Castles" line and add a j to it. Be aware though, if you have GameEx configured to automatically update this, it will overwrite any changes you make. Because of this, you either have to make the file read-only, or temporarily disable the auto-update. Something else we can do for you. If it is decided that more people prefer to use the joystick over the trackball, we can change the official romset to the joystick one. I'll leave the decision up to the community.

So to recap: if you want to play with a joystick instead of trackball, we've decided to allow the alternate romset of ccastlesj. You'll just have to manually locate this romset rather than use the built in map file/custom list.

• Like 3

I do pretty ok with the joystick on the normal verison. I've done 329k on it before. It's very manageable. I have my settings at 1 4 1 4 for player one analog. Will have to give the other version a go.

Wow. Joystick version plays really weird. Very slow and the bear jumps 3/4 across the screen. Crazy. But way harder in my opinion.

Twin Galaxies does allow warps on their scoreboard. It is also allowed as per the original post here. If we're going to stick with their settings I don't see why not. My score didn't use any, but if they allow it we should too.

Besides, if you take the points to do that, you also take the risk because you're going to a harder level.

Since we don't referee these games, it's extremely hard to identify when somebody uses a warp. I've never heard of it, but thanks to EE's link, it clearly describes warps as having to be unlocked by yourself, not from a previous player. So there's no way to prove that you didn't unlock it prior to your current game. That being said, I don't think it fair to use warps. I'm sure my other mods would agree. As far as the bonus, unless it's a warp I'm going to say it's legal. The game has it programmed to be used, so why should we disallow it?

To clarify, when they mean "need to be unlocked", there is apparently a feature that unlocks additional warps in addition to those immediately available in the game based on the number of games played on a real cabinet, that is why they mention that just in case someone is attempting a score on the real machine. In MAME as well as arcade cabinets that have their # of plays set to 0, there are several warp zones available to the player right away without having to play multiple games, but there won't be those additional warps that come from multiple games. As I said in my previous post, even though there is a 140K bonus for the first one you're also advancing 2 whole sets of levels to Level 3, where it gets more difficult, so it's not like the game gets any easier.

The OP did say they were allowed, and TG allows it too, so therefore I think it will be OK. Some people might want the instant bonus but then you miss a lot of the good levels in between (and I do believe you'd score more playing through Level 1 and 2 without using it)

About the use of warps...

We always follow TG's rules and settings. It will be stated in the game's first post if we would make an exception to this rule.

Our general rule is to always use 1 credit and no continues, so using additional warps that come from multiple game sesssions (on a real cabinet) is not applicable here. Making use of warps which are immediately (1-credit play) available is allowed because TG allows the use of warps.

Based upon our Competition's rules you're free to use the "immediately-available-warps" of a 1-credit game. I also agree with ExedExes making use of these warps isn't necessarily a benefit because you're warped to more difficult levels and thereby missing the more easy levels where you can accumulate points.

We run a friendly competition and we rely on the good sportmanship of our members and expect / trust them to use no cheats, hacks etc. We won't be able to check if a submission is 100% legit and I'm perfectly fine with that :) There are dedicated websites (TG, MARP) for those who want every submission being checked.

Again, we run a friendly competition which perfectly suits our GameEx community :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there folks! New full time job and a newborn child makes me have almost out of time for my arcade (sigh!)

I never found this game and I'm not bad. I'm worse... 13560...

Hey Helpman ! Congrats with the new job and your newborn :) Pretty hectic times I imagine ;)

You're welcome anytime to play at our competition !! In case you've missed it > you're allowed to use either ROMSet ccastles or ccastlesj. Read more about it here.

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

oh boy, so it was SO hard to play ROFL too late to beat my own score. but for people playing the trackball romset, you can set analog X inc, dec and analog y inc, dec mapped to your joystick, then on the analog menu choose speed 15 to make it playable :D