All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] GameEx is crashing when I try to open

uberpubert69

I haven't been using GameEx much lately, mostly because I'm waiting for Evo and I've been playing around with my consoles, but I digress.

I've tried using GameEx today and everything loaded and ran fine until I hit fullscreen. It crashed and returned me to the desktop. Upon further inspection of the Log there wasn't anything wrong. So I tried to run it again and it immediately crashed upon startup, now displaying this in the log:

15:43:31.9 10/23/2014: Initialization OK! Starting GameEx!
15:43:31.9 10/23/2014: Testing Main Loop Once: Processing Frame
15:43:32.0 10/23/2014: --**--
15:43:32.0 10/23/2014: ERRORS DETECTED: EXITING
15:43:32.0 10/23/2014: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
15:43:32.0 10/23/2014: at GameEx.GameEx.MainForm.d1()

log.txt

I appreciate any and all help.

Well I would guess it's either a problem with that DirectX our video card drivers.

Maybe, shortly after AMD popped up saying I needed to update my drivers and I did. Problem is now I have to use the HDMI port on my motherboard to output my display instead of doing it through my Radeon HD 7750. I ran into this problem before but I completely forgot what I did to get it to go back to the graphics card. I wouldn't want to test GameEx until then.

I've seen this problem before with the APU drivers.

Hit up the AMD site and download and install the latest APU drivers for your board, probably do not need to go for the beta, just the latest stable release. As with GPU drivers in general, play it safe and perform and uninstall, reboot, and install the new ones, then reboot again.

Windows update will always tell you there is a new WHQL driver available, ignore it or be prepared to do the above again. Whatever the Windows update is detecting is wrong, so my suggestion to you is to elect to not be reminded of that one.

• Like 1

I've seen this problem before with the APU drivers.

Hit up the AMD site and download and install the latest APU drivers for your board, probably do not need to go for the beta, just the latest stable release. As with GPU drivers in general, play it safe and perform and uninstall, reboot, and install the new ones, then reboot again.

Windows update will always tell you there is a new WHQL driver available, ignore it or be prepared to do the above again. Whatever the Windows update is detecting is wrong, so my suggestion to you is to elect to not be reminded of that one.

I did not receive a windows update, AMD told me to. I don't know why it would have anything to do with my APU though, I've only ever been using my GPU albeit dual graphic'd with my APU but I had only updated my GPU, APU is untouched.

hmm that being the case you may want to try the beta drivers for you GPU. Are you sure it didn't update both the GPU and APU drivers? I would go into device manager and check my driver dates if I were you just to be certain.

I pulled down the beta drivers due to some problems with F@H, but regardless, if you installed a new AMD GPU driver, and problems appeared, I would try the beta before I rolled back to the old driver. The new driver you were prompted to install was released around the end of Sept, and I'm betting on a reboot CCC prompted you to update.

Just an idea, but if your running some type of cross fire config with your GPU and APU, it could be that your new GPU drivers aren't jiving with the old APU drivers. Perhaps a good reason to update the APU drivers. Anyway, just a thought, always got to be a little creative when dealing with AMD drivers. That's not a dig, I've been using their cards almost exclusively for the last decade at least. Good bang for the buck IMO!

• Like 1

Just an idea, but if your running some type of cross fire config with your GPU and APU, it could be that your new GPU drivers aren't jiving with the old APU drivers. Perhaps a good reason to update the APU drivers. Anyway, just a thought, always got to be a little creative when dealing with AMD drivers. That's not a dig, I've been using their cards almost exclusively for the last decade at least. Good bang for the buck IMO!

Yes well I'll give that a go. But may I remind you my problems arised out of nowhere when it was working before. AND all this happened before I updated my drivers. Me updating my drivers is my attempt at fixing GameEx but it doesn't. All my games play fine when I play them too no errors, just GameEx. I don't think it has anything to do with my PC tbh. I might have to reinstall GameEx but I really don't want to. I would need to backup my settings if I were going to try that.

Something in your video environment changed before you started playing with GameEx again. While not outside of the realm of possibility, it is unlikely that your current install of GameEx went south. From other issues you have reported over the last few months, you have had problems with your Daemon Tools Lite install and some other gremlins.

How long have you had your current OS installed? Are there issues with any other programs on your PC that you haven't mentioned here? Have you checked the logs in Event Viewer to see if there are any application or device conflicts noted? Usually when I hear of someone in our enterprise environment having repeated issues with various applications, it usually results in a reimage of their machine.

• Like 1

Something in your video environment changed before you started playing with GameEx again. While not outside of the realm of possibility, it is unlikely that your current install of GameEx went south. From other issues you have reported over the last few months, you have had problems with your Daemon Tools Lite install and some other gremlins.

How long have you had your current OS installed? Are there issues with any other programs on your PC that you haven't mentioned here? Have you checked the logs in Event Viewer to see if there are any application or device conflicts noted? Usually when I hear of someone in our enterprise environment having repeated issues with various applications, it usually results in a reimage of their machine.

I've had it installed for less than a year. I think January is when i installed the OS but I'm having no issues with anything atm. My Daemon Tools now works. I know where you're coming from but I much rather try a reinstall of GameEx than reinstalling my whole OS since that is the only problem that I have currently. I will do a reinstall if I do happen to come across any more issues though.

If you are looking at formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS, then just backup your gameex folder, and if stored on the same hard drive, all your ROMs and artwork, etc. You will have to reinstall your emulators and configure them again.

If you are looking at formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS, then just backup your gameex folder, and if stored on the same hard drive, all your ROMs and artwork, etc. You will have to reinstall your emulators and configure them again.

All of my ROMs and stuff are on external HDDs. GameEx is on my C drive though. I did a fresh install of GameEx last night and I backed up from my old install my EMULATORS folder that has the [mappingoff].ini files, my EMULATORS folder that has the db3 files, MAP FILES folder, PLUGINS, and THEMES folder. I also backed up my GameEx.ini, Custominput.ini, and CustomMenu.ini.

I put all those back into the new installation and everything ran like it used to. The only thing required of me to mess with was my Custom Menu.exe and enable Custom Menus. Though I think I turned that off thinking it was my theme that was making me crash before I reinstalled it.

So yeah, everything is good now. I was even able to get farther in my Saturn issues. :)