All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Question: One Game only Screensaver

Sebastian1314

Hello all! Hope you are guys are having an awesome day. I have a question on the GameEx screensaver: is there any way to limit it to one game, or a small list of games that would not be the Favorites list? I haven't seen the Setup Wizard for a while now, so I think there was an option to restrict it to only Favorites there, but not a single game or a list... Anyways, any help would be much appreciated! Cheers!

Sebastian1314

Unfortunately you're limited to the two options you mentioned.

Not a bad idea for a plugin though...

Whats it worth to ya? Lol!

Not sure if it can be done or not, depends on wether the screensaver passes the command line event. I suspect it does though.

Let me get back to ya.

I would think that you could set up a separate emulator with only the one game that you want to show, and have that as the only emulator that is enabled in the screensaver.

This was my first thought as well. Then if you wanted that single game to still appear as part of a larger game list, you could use the Emulator Groups feature.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate the help! I tried setting up a specific emulator for it, but I can't disable MAME emulation, there's no option for it anywhere. Or am I simply not looking in the right places? As for my motives, I'm running a dedicated cab on the exterior but have a multigame setup for the software (i.e. the outside of the cab is specific to a single game, but it can really play many). I'd like the screensaver to only show that game, for consistency =) Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Not exactly want you asked for, but in my star wars cab GameEx is set to start star wars on boot, then wait for it to be exited before starting itself.

Screensaver is disabled on this cab but I am sure you could set up the one game as stated above.

To set this up you play the chosen game then exit out of GameEx and copy your runitgame.bat from the gameex/DATA folder and give it a new name.

Then in the "Tweaks / Performance" section of the settings wizard point to it in the "Launch on start up" field.

Good luck.

Not exactly want you asked for, but in my star wars cab GameEx is set to start star wars on boot, then wait for it to be exited before starting itself.

Screensaver is disabled on this cab but I am sure you could set up the one game as stated above.

To set this up you play the chosen game then exit out of GameEx and copy your runitgame.bat from the gameex/DATA folder and give it a new name.

Then in the "Tweaks / Performance" section of the settings wizard point to it in the "Launch on start up" field.

Good luck.

I could definitely do that for right now; thanks for the suggestion! :) Though it would be nice to get a more 'concrete' solution per-se, one where I could leave the machine idle and have GameEx boot into the screensaver game...

I'm working on it. ;)

Was thinking about this today.

If a plugin is cooking, it could be cool to have an option to play a selected intro movie once before loading any games - what you think?.

Also on a personal level if the screensaver process could show up in quicklaunch then maybe I could rotate my screen for vertical mame games if it knows the orientation?.

Both of these requests are doable for sure, but probably outside of the scope of this project.

I can probably whip something up in an hour that sends a command-line to your rotation exe based on the orientation of the game during the screensaver, but you would have to do the testing since I can't. That wouldn't be all that difficult.

I'm not sure it's possible right now to play an intro movie before a game starts, that would have to wait for Evo.

Both of these requests are doable for sure, but probably outside of the scope of this project.

I can probably whip something up in an hour that sends a command-line to your rotation exe based on the orientation of the game during the screensaver, but you would have to do the testing since I can't. That wouldn't be all that difficult.

I'm not sure it's possible right now to play an intro movie before a game starts, that would have to wait for Evo.

That is a very kind offer thank you.

Another way would be to just have the option to have only horizontal games in the screensaver maybe?.

I am happy to wait for Evo and do not really want to derail this thread any more, but out of interest at the moment quicklaunch sends [orientation] to the following AHK to rotate my monitor in mame, for HBMame the romname is sent and an .ini is parsed - quicklaunch rocks!.

#NoEnv

#SingleInstance force

Action = %1%

Gosub, %Action%

V:

run smccmd --speed 2200

SoundPlay, tractorbeam2.wav , wait

Process, wait, mame64.exe

process, WaitClose, mame64.exe

run smccmd --speed -2200

SoundPlay, tractorbeam2.wav , wait

exitapp

H:

ExitApp

Yeah I would pretty much just have to borrow some code from quicklaunch and have it work internally since those calls don't go out in the screensaver, it really shouldn't take long. The most involved part would probably be a GUI but I'm thinking 45m on that max. I'll side if I can't get to out over the weekend but I'm the on call at my job, so I hope for no client emergencies. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I noticed that if I download the MAME screensaver independent from GameEx and set it to an installation of MAME with only one game, I can get that to work, but the screensaver never shows up when GameEx is running. I think there must be some command in the source to tell the computer not to sleep...

I'm sorry, i have been so busy with a million other things. I promise I'll get to this, but probably not until Xmas break.

I'm sorry, i have been so busy with a million other things. I promise I'll get to this, but probably not until Xmas break.

Naw man, you're doing me a favor! Thanks a bunch again! I've just been doing some research on my own that's all, and trying this way and that for alternate solutions. Seems like there are no (obvious) ones...

Cheers, and happy holidays!

• 8 months later...