All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Dolphin Wiimote syncing

ibleedspeed

Well this thread has sparked a few questions and debates in my mind..

1. should I stick with my original wiimotes or go for the motion plus controllers? not sure if motion plus adds anything to dolphin or has compatibility issues...

2. Should I go with the after market USB wired gamecube controllers or opt for the official nintendo brand controllers with a mayflash usb adapter?

3. Does anyone have any other input about contollers for various console emulators I should know about? Nes, Super Nes, N64 ect?

I see a huge box of controllers and adaptors showing up at my door in the near future and want to make the right choices....thanks guys.

For Wiimotes, I'd go for the Motion+ controllers as I believe certain Wii games like The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword require them (Not totally sure on this). As for your other questions, there are some really good after market controllers out there that will do just fine and save you some cash on buying name brand controllers. The only reason I can see going with Nintendo branded controllers is for a truly authentic feel, but keep in mind you'll have to purchase the extra adapters to use these, or have them rewired with a USB connection as I've also seen being sold in various places, but you already know that :)

For N64 emulation, I've found that using multiple emulators comes real close to getting perfect N64 emulation, some emulators work better than others and I use a combination of Project64 and 1964. For SNES I'd stay away from Zsnes, as it has sound issues and is more of a "hack job" than focusing on accurate emulation. I'd opt for Snes9x or Higan (Higan has perfect SNES emulation for every title) Snes9x is what I use the most, and it's really good as it's not fanatical about it's ROM images and supports both format ROM files, .sfc and .smc Higan is a bit more fanatical about the ROM format you use (only supporting un-headered .sfc ROMs) and I never really liked the way it handles ROM images, placing each ROM in it's own folder, etc.

There are plenty of great NES emulators out there, so take your pick. I use Nestopia mostly, and have always had positive results.

• Like 2

Just to chime in here, I know Wii Sports Resort definitely requires motion plus.

Also with the mayflash bar, it should be noted that you can switch modes and use the classic controller for your emulators if you want to. I'm having issues getting it set up on RetroArch, but that may be a PICNIC error. :)

Keep in mind also that you will probably need to update your mayflash bar firmware to work with the latest Dolphin version. :)

For Wiimotes, I'd go for the Motion+ controllers as I believe certain Wii games like The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword require them (Not totally sure on this). As for your other questions, there are some really good after market controllers out there that will do just fine and save you some cash on buying name brand controllers. The only reason I can see going with Nintendo branded controllers is for a truly authentic feel, but keep in mind you'll have to purchase the extra adapters to use these, or have them rewired with a USB connection as I've also seen being sold in various places, but you already know that :)

For N64 emulation, I've found that using multiple emulators comes real close to getting perfect N64 emulation, some emulators work better than others and I use a combination of Project64 and 1964. For SNES I'd stay away from Zsnes, as it has sound issues and is more of a "hack job" than focusing on accurate emulation. I'd opt for Snes9x or Higan (Higan has perfect SNES emulation for every title) Snes9x is what I use the most, and it's really good as it's not fanatical about it's ROM images and supports both format ROM files, .sfc and .smc Higan is a bit more fanatical about the ROM format you use (only supporting un-headered .sfc ROMs) and I never really liked the way it handles ROM images, placing each ROM in it's own folder, etc.

There are plenty of great NES emulators out there, so take your pick. I use Nestopia mostly, and have always had positive results.

I actually found that project64 BSOD,s my rig I was not too pleasewd with that at all...you might say I was pissed... so I do some research and according to the interwebs pj64 requires a very specific windows update to prevent the bsod... i downloaded the update and attempted to install it and windows tells me the update is not compatible... anyhow so now I gladly use mupen64 with the gui and its fine for me since Im not fanatical about n64 anyway... all other emulators are well covered for me...even some I will most likely never use...lol..

And on that note I have just ordered the Mayflash dolphin bar and a new set of motion plus controllers for dolphin...I cant thank you guys enough for the help... next payday will be gameex registration and more retro controllers...

it looks like the "retrolink" usb controllers are exact molds... any input on these? I will be doing nes, super nes, gamecube and N64 retrolink controllers unless there is a better option..

• Like 1

And on that note I have just ordered the Mayflash dolphin bar and a new set of motion plus controllers for dolphin...I cant thank you guys enough for the help... next payday will be gameex registration and more retro controllers...

it looks like the "retrolink" usb controllers are exact molds... any input on these? I will be doing nes, super nes, gamecube and N64 retrolink controllers unless there is a better option..

A good investment to tie together all of your emulators and then some! As for the retro controllers, some are just painful to play with for long periods (non-ergonomic shapes - Atari 2600 joystick anyone?). while they do add a little cool factor, I use an Xbox 360 wired controller for Windows and quite a few use the wireless version. That, coupled with Xpadder and Adultery's fine Xpadder plugin are the shiznit.

• Like 2

Well this thread has sparked a few questions and debates in my mind..

1. should I stick with my original wiimotes or go for the motion plus controllers? not sure if motion plus adds anything to dolphin or has compatibility issues...

2. Should I go with the after market USB wired gamecube controllers or opt for the official nintendo brand controllers with a mayflash usb adapter?

3. Does anyone have any other input about contollers for various console emulators I should know about? Nes, Super Nes, N64 ect?

I see a huge box of controllers and adaptors showing up at my door in the near future and want to make the right choices....thanks guys.

If your interested in using the original system controllers (or any knock offs) you must check out this before you waste your money on a bunch of adapters!.

• Like 1

A good investment to tie together all of your emulators and then some! As for the retro controllers, some are just painful to play with for long periods (non-ergonomic shapes - Atari 2600 joystick anyone?). while they do add a little cool factor, I use an Xbox 360 wired controller for Windows and quite a few use the wireless version. That, coupled with Xpadder and Adultery's fine Xpadder plugin are the shiznit.

Already using wireless xbox 360 for a long time now. the cool factor is for most of the og controllers excluding the gamecube and n64 which actually serve to make mapping easier and more original.... the gamecube controllers are pretty nice anyway... Not sure what xpadder is for though? the only emulator I could see that being useful for is mame or some of the obscure ones I dont play... I mainly use all the console emulators from nintendo up...not really interested in atari or most of those types..mame covers all the oldschool stuff I could ever want to play and I almost never touch my mame install...

If your interested in using the original system controllers (or any knock offs) you must check out this before you waste your money on a bunch of adapters!.

Thanks... this was a thought I had too... and after further research I have decided I wont be doing direct usb knockoff controllers.... too many little quirks and complaints from people.... for example the gamecube controller I was considering has no analog functionallity for the triggers... A huge red X there... Yeah Im going to have to go with the usb adaptors and official branded controllers.... at least for gamecube and n64...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogl3b9EpwIU

I definatly don't recomend the knock off pc port controllers. Get adapters and use the original for sure. The 4-in-1 I linked earlier is no longer available and I can't find it any more. Too bad! that was the best solution I've ever found. But you get the Idea. I reccomend the GC adapter though, as it supports the wavebird (the holy controller). That is my favorite wirless controller, if only it had rumble, it would be perfect. I loved the GC though, so I'm biased. My friends gave me crap for buying a GC instead of Halo and an X-Box. While they enjoyed the best scifi FPS ever, I was basking in Metroid prime bliss exploring the best adventure FPS ever. I defend my decision.

• Like 1

+1 Felix. Loved Wind Waker and Double Dash. Still have the GC, for Wavebirds, and the GameBoy Player attachment too. :)

• Like 1

I definatly don't recomend the knock off pc port controllers. Get adapters and use the original for sure. The 4-in-1 I linked earlier is no longer available and I can't find it any more. Too bad! that was the best solution I've ever found. But you get the Idea. I reccomend the GC adapter though, as it supports the wavebird (the holy controller). That is my favorite wirless controller, if only it had rumble, it would be perfect. I loved the GC though, so I'm biased. My friends gave me crap for buying a GC instead of Halo and an X-Box. While they enjoyed the best scifi FPS ever, I was basking in Metroid prime bliss exploring the best adventure FPS ever. I defend my decision.

See I never got too even play a gamecube in its prime... nobody I knew had one and now in my late 30,s I get to rediscover the awesomeness that is gamecube In glorius HD on my bigscreen...I am loving it so it makes sense to seek out the original controllers to play it right. I have a wii and it is stored neatley away since discovering dolphin... I did kind of invest about 1800 bucks in my gaming pc so it serves its purpose well...lol... I am super excited about this dolphin bar and cant wait to get my gameex registration.... I have been modding the after dark gameex theme for this last week with my own images and getting some fantastic results... so you guys will see me around at least for a while because my gameex install is getting the works...

Wind Waker was a unique LOZ with the cell shading. I must have played it through 3-4 times getting eveything. I still remember going deeper down underground in the 100 Holes gauntlet (or what ever it was). That one holds a special place in my heart, a definate nominee for artistic masterpieces. The GC really had some great titles. The only games I ever got for the X-box were Halo and Halo 2. No wonder no one has a X-box emulator that works well. There is just not that much interest! But thoes titles would be worth it. I love the Halo universe. The live action tv series has me so geeked. I don't think I'll drop a live subscription for it though.

Wind Waker was a unique LOZ with the cell shading. I must have played it through 3-4 times getting eveything. I still remember going deeper down underground in the 100 Holes gauntlet (or what ever it was). That one holds a special place in my heart, a definate nominee for artistic masterpieces. The GC really had some great titles. The only games I ever got for the X-box were Halo and Halo 2. No wonder no one has a X-box emulator that works well. There is just not that much interest! But thoes titles would be worth it. I love the Halo universe. The live action tv series has me so geeked. I don't think I'll drop a live subscription for it though.

Man I absolutely loved ninja gaiden black and would love to see that emulated and upscaled I am a hack and slash kind of gamer and n g black was an amazing revelation it is without a doubt the hardest game to beat I ever played...there were a few decent exclusives for xbox that deserve emulation... I can gurantee if someone made aan xbox emu that worked we would be all over it...

Man I absolutely loved ninja gaiden black and would love to see that emulated and upscaled I am a hack and slash kind of gamer and n g black was an amazing revelation it is without a doubt the hardest game to beat I ever played...there were a few decent exclusives for xbox that deserve emulation... I can gurantee if someone made aan xbox emu that worked we would be all over it...

If you haven't already check out Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. It was among the first of the stealth games like Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell, except you’re a :ph34r:. They are for PS1 (I think they made one for PS2 also) not he GC but definatly a lesser known playstation gem.

----

You:

Throw a rock off into the bushes over there...Sneak...Sneak...Roll...Attack

Enemy:

I wonder what that sound coming from the direction I'm not supposed to be patroling was...Better go check it out...Aaaaggghhhh...why is there a sword sticking out of my chest?....Darkness...

If you haven't already check out Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. It was among the first of the stealth games like Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell, except you’re a :ph34r:. They are for PS1 (I think they made one for PS2 also) not he GC but definatly a lesser known playstation gem.

----

You:

Throw a rock off into the bushes over there...Sneak...Sneak...Roll...Attack

Enemy:

I wonder what that sound coming from the direction I'm not supposed to be patroling was...Better go check it out...Aaaaggghhhh...why is there a sword sticking out of my chest?....Darkness...

lol...I did I did play tenchu when it came out and I think I have both of them now... they were fun games but no ninja game I have played topped ninja gaiden black.... course I havnt played Ninja gaiden sigma cuz I never had a ps3 or 360...