All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

4 Player List under MAME

teebo2345

In the Advanced MAME option in the GameEX wizard, there are options to set path to mameinfo.dat, history.dat, etc. If you've never changed those paths then it defaults to GameEx\DATA path

Extract this zip of files to that path ---> https://www.sendspace.com/file/l9ffdn

Then in GameEX preform update list

After that process finishes let us know if the issue is fixed.

In the Advanced MAME option in the GameEX wizard, there are options to set path to mameinfo.dat, history.dat, etc. If you've never changed those paths then it defaults to GameEx\DATA path

Extract this zip of files to that path ---> https://www.sendspace.com/file/l9ffdn

Then in GameEX preform update list

After that process finishes let us know if the issue is fixed.

Hello,

thank you for trying to help me.

I checked all the paths in the wizard.

I did extract and overwrite the files in the data path, then did the update list. Now it is even worse, Ridgeracer for example has no category at all now, its just blank where the category is normaly shown, before that it was in the "driving 1.st person view" category and if selected it was showing that.

If i go to the "Driving" category APB is still there but Roadblaster is gone, no other games are showing up from the other driving categorys.

So basically the new files didn't add games, some even lost their category. What is going wrong there?

i did an backup earlier of my old files and copyd them now over the one you provided. I then updated the list and back is ridgeracer with the "driving first person" category. In the "driving" category Roadblaster has also returned.

Schould the category "driving" show all the mame racing games?

What can i do?

I provided log.txt if this is any help, i tried everything to add my gameex.ini but no matter what i tried i get errors like Upload Skipped (Error IO

You really don't need all those unofficial patches like nonag and cave. GameEX can turn off the nag stuff and official MAME has better Cave stuff than what that patch does.

I'm suspecting if you donwload the command line mame64 from mamedev.org and point GameEX to that then an update listing would be correct.

• Like 2

You really don't need all those unofficial patches like nonag and cave. GameEX can turn off the nag stuff and official MAME has better Cave stuff than what that patch does.

I'm suspecting if you donwload the command line mame64 from mamedev.org and point GameEX to that then an update listing would be correct.

Hello,

i downloaded the command line mame64, made a clean folder, then i copied your files in the data folder, besides i didn't had the Category.ini in it, i opened the Category.ini in notepad++ and it is a file that sorts mame games in categories. it uses other categorys as those who are displayed in my gameex. like "Race" in the Category.ini is "Driving" in my GameEx-Category

1. what is the Category.ini good for?

2. should gameex use it?

i used the gameex-wizard to look for a path to the Category.ini file but couldn't find it. after that i did a "update list" and sadly it didn't work well. At samurai shodown 5 special "Fighter/Versus" is some sort of break, after that the games are without a category, the next game for example is san francisco rush and its missing its category like all other games after samurai showdown. I checked Ridge Racer if that displays correct but ridge racer and ridge racer 2 Rave racer are without a category. Sadly my Problem is not related to the Mame version i use. My gameex version isn't updated for about 3/4 year.

3. Do i have to update gameex so this works correct?

Somehow i don't dare to do that, i put so much work in it.

4. Is there anything i can try?

Thanks for trying to help me with that, drives me nuts now :wacko:

Not knowing what version can limit us on how to try to help you. You haven't provided a log.txt file for us to look at. Some issues may be resolved in the latest version which we will be glad to try to troubleshoot. Make a backup of your current gameeex folder and download the latest version and provide us with fresh copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt file please.

• Like 1

It should also be noted that updating your version of GameEx will not affect your settings in anyway. Your hard work is safe! Having said that, I suspect the problem you are describing likely has more to do with your installation of Mame than it does with GameEx (as B2K24 suggests).

1. what is the Category.ini good for?

Category.ini is directly responsible for sorting your roms into their associated categories. If you're having problems with your categories parsing correctly it will likely be directly related to this file, or more accurately the relationship between this file and your version of Mame. Bear in mind that Category.ini will (and does) change over time from one version of Mame to the next. You'll want to be sure that you have a category.ini that is appropriate for your Mame version.

2. should gameex use it?

It's not so much a question of whether GameEx should use it, as it is that GameEx does use it.

3. Do i have to update gameex so this works correct?

It's definitely worth a shot. Even if it doesn't fix your issue, we will be able to more effectively help you identify the problem (as Draco points out). Without updating, our most reliable answer to this question will be, "maybe?". Don't worry though, updating GameEx will not impact your settings that you've worked hard on.

4. Is there anything i can try?

The other thing I would strongly consider is trying it out with a different version of Mame. To me, pre-compiled versions of Mame are always a dicey proposition, partly because you don't know what changes were made to the source code before compilation. If you're definitely interested in the benefits of using a custom compiled version, I would strongly suggest looking into compiling your own. Mame Compiler 64 is a great place to start. Compiling Mame is something that sounds big and scary, until you actually do it, at which point you'll wonder what all the fuss was about (particularly when you leverage a tool like Mame Compiler 64).

• Like 1

Hello,

maybe i have to clarify:

I donwloaded the command line mame64 from mamedev.org like B2K24 suggested and used his updated files but it didn't work, i suppose GameEx is not using the new Category.ini

My GameEx didn't had a Category.ini in it in the first place.

I now Updated my GameEx and used the Files from B2K24 and the mame64 from mamedev.org, after the "Update list" the Category stopped between Puzzle Bobble 4 and

Q*bert, everything after Puzzle Bobble 4 has no Category and is clearly not using the Categories at all from the Category.ini. When i go to the Category overview it states "no Categories". I then deleted the Category.ini to see what would happen and did a "Update list" instead of empty categories nothing changed. And how could it, the Category.ini is using [Racing / Cars 2] [Racing / 3D] and such and my games are labeled "Driving" "Driving / first person" in my "mame all games" list.

I did take a look in the Catver.ini and found this in it:"samsh5sp=Fighter / Versus" thats how samurai showdown 5 special is in a category in my gameex and then there is "sfrush=Driving / Race (chase view)" that category-info is not showing up in Gameex but exists in the Catver.ini so why is gameex not using it? I deleted sfrush.zip and the chd folder but it did not do the trick. How come that all Games with "The..." have categories? With different Catver.ini i get category's till Puzzle Bobble or till Samurai showdown 5 special.

after that i did use my old mame and old files from the datafolder. i now have categories till samurai showdown 5 special like before so sadly updating GameEx didn't help.

I provide the NEW Gameex.ini and Log.txt + a screenshot of my Categories. (upload of gameex.ini failed again, but a zip file worked flawlessly???)

What can i do? What is going wrong?

Thank you for looking into this!