All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Got a wireless steering wheel for MAME/racing games Help plz

uberpubert69

So I picked up a xbox 360 wireless steering wheel in perfect shape for $1 at a garage sale a little while back and just recently got a receiver for my PC. I was wanting to know if anyone had any experience in setting up a steering wheel for racing games in MAME.

I'm having trouble with the sensitivity and the inability to get my triggers set up for my pedals. There are so many settings in MAME for controls that I'm lost. lol So in the meantime I have my A and B button as accelerate and brake. But like I said my steering wheel doesnt turn hard enough I have to steer pretty hard to get the car to turn.

The steering sounds like a deadzone problem, you should sort that in Windows first i think, though i wouldn't know how as i don't use one. If you use Xpadder it's actually quite easy to adjust deadzones and sensitivity and as you're using a 360 wheel i'm fairly confident Xpadder will pick it up as a regular controller.. As for the pedals, i couldn't say as i've yet to experience any kind of analogued controls in MAME. Is it even possible?

• Like 1

I think the Xpadder idea is definitely worth a shot, but remember that you'll need to compile MAME to accept DirectInput (if you haven't already) in order for Xpadder to cooperate with MAME.

Absolutely! To save you some searching, you need to alter this file prior to compiling:

<your-mame-source>\src\osd\windows\input.c

Open in Notepad and find this (it's right at the top):

// For testing purposes: force DirectInput#define FORCE_DIRECTINPUT   0
Change to:

// For testing purposes: force DirectInput#define FORCE_DIRECTINPUT   1
Then compile. If successful, not only will Xpadder work, but also ALL or ANY buttons that didn't before :) For example on a 360 pad the triggers will now work etc, which may well translate to your pedals ;)
  • Like 2

Absolutely! To save you some searching, you need to alter this file prior to compiling:

Change to:

Then compile. If successful, not only will Xpadder work, but also ALL or ANY buttons that didn't before :) For example on a 360 pad the triggers will now work etc, which may well translate to your pedals ;)

well Ive compiled my own mame already a while ago. Do I have to make another version of MAME? I should have everything to make a new version but would my settings/config be affected at all? I'd like to not have to configure all my 360 controllers again. :/ Also I've almost completely forgotten about how to compile my own. The tutorial I have is for an older version of MAME

well Ive compiled my own mame already a while ago. Do I have to make another version of MAME? I should have everything to make a new version but would my settings/config be affected at all? I'd like to not have to configure all my 360 controllers again. :/ Also I've almost completely forgotten about how to compile my own. The tutorial I have is for an older version of MAME

No nothing will be affected, just keep everything outside of GameEx. If you didn't make the adjustments i mentioned in my last post, then yes it will be beneficial to compile again. If you enable d-input you will get the most out of your wheel. If you need any help with the compile itself i'm willing to help you out!

• Like 1

No nothing will be affected, just keep everything outside of GameEx. If you didn't make the adjustments i mentioned in my last post, then yes it will be beneficial to compile again. If you enable d-input you will get the most out of your wheel. If you need any help with the compile itself i'm willing to help you out!

Well I have mame compiler 64 and it has an option to force DirectInput but I chose not to tick that setting because I made the adjustments to the file as you instructed. Should I have?

How is the wheel recognized by windows? Does it show up as a Xbox 360 pad, or does it show as some other type of device? Are the pedals recognized in the Windows configuration dialog? If so are they mapped as an analogue trigger (I would predict that they are), or do they register as a digital switch?

How is the wheel recognized by windows? Does it show up as a Xbox 360 pad, or does it show as some other type of device? Are the pedals recognized in the Windows configuration dialog? If so are they mapped as an analogue trigger (I would predict that they are), or do they register as a digital switch?

It is an official microsoft product so it registers as a 360 pad, and the pedals are mapped as analog triggers.

I have MAMEUIFX. I don't think that works the same way.

I can't really give any input on this in that case as i use Vanilla MAME. But with my own compiles, the triggers defintily work so i'm wondering if MAMEUIFX has a diff method to enable d-input. May be it has none?? I wouldn't know :unsure:

If you need directinput in any mame based source (ie mameuifx) you would need to change it in the input source file itself and compile it yourself. I think it's input.c and you need to change the directinput enabled to 1, but you'll lose multi keyboard support.

We already covered that Sir :) if i may quote:

Change to:

Thats my fault for not having read the whole post. But the it's not like that part threw me, since they're all based on the same input system... ;)

Thats my fault for not having read the whole post. But the it's not like that part threw me, since they're all based on the same input system... ;)

I assumed that too, but as i'm not familiar with derivative builds, i wasn't comfortable making any statements on the matter. For all i know any manner of changes could have occured to the source, including input changes :)

I assumed that too, but as i'm not familiar with derivative builds, i wasn't comfortable making any statements on the matter. For all i know any manner of changes could have occured to the source, including input changes :)

Well rest assured the triggers/pedals work, to an extent. The only game I've successfully been able to get the pedals working is California Speed, but I still don't think they're mapped right. The controls in the config screen ask for accel and decel for both the accelerator pedal and the decelerator/brake pedal. And I can't get it to map the trigger properly. So I can only achieve ~190MPH as well making me think something is wrong.

All things considered, I found this to be unhelpful info, and so didn't post it early on during this thread. Given some really good input here from the gang here, albeit with fairly limited results, it seems it can't hurt now. I'm always on the hunt for a good controller, and due to this, found this thread of particular interest. After reading some amazon reviews, at least some indicate the pedals didn't work for them reliably from the get go. I have no way of knowing if this is, or is not the case with this particular set you got, but it could be someone else before you experienced the same level of frustration, and off to the garage sale they went due to it. Others describe the dead zone in the steering, which I believe you mentioned earlier on. Sorry, I haven't read back through all of this thread to verify, but at least on the surface It appears that this could have just been one of those controllers that was so close, but missed the mark for MS for one reason or another. Then again, others love it, who knows?

Sorry, I know this adds little, if any value.

All things considered, I found this to be unhelpful info, and so didn't post it early on during this thread. Given some really good input here from the gang here, albeit with fairly limited results, it seems it can't hurt now. I'm always on the hunt for a good controller, and due to this, found this thread of particular interest. After reading some amazon reviews, at least some indicate the pedals didn't work for them reliably from the get go. I have no way of knowing if this is, or is not the case with this particular set you got, but it could be someone else before you experienced the same level of frustration, and off to the garage sale they went due to it. Others describe the dead zone in the steering, which I believe you mentioned earlier on. Sorry, I haven't read back through all of this thread to verify, but at least on the surface It appears that this could have just been one of those controllers that was so close, but missed the mark for MS for one reason or another. Then again, others love it, who knows?

Sorry, I know this adds little, if any value.

It gives me the relief of knowing that its not me just being stupid. And that is always a good thing. :P I did mess with it in the control panel and I got it to be so sensitive it was just too much. There's no real way of controlling how sensitive it gets either so idk. But my triggers do work. I've been able to get the controller working for literally everything except a few MAME games that give me trouble. I hope someone who uses MAME a lot could help figure out whats going on.