All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Has anyone considered a Halloween Classics Spooktacular Comp?

Draco1962

Has anyone considered a Halloween Classics Spooktacular Comp? Outside of the GoTM comp of course. A few of the arcade classics come to mind:

Black Widow

Rampage

Satan's Hollow

Satan of Saturn

Wizard of Wor

• Like 2

I think you are correct,, null. According to KLOV it was released in 1986 by Konami.

@Adultery - that would be cool of you to do. I know we have suggested a similar thing in the past. I am not that great at organizing the comps like our resident pros, but if they are up to the task of promotoing it, I may even actually be in a position to play a title or two.

That's a great idea Draco :)

...I can't remember who but a Halloween competition was already suggested earlier this month. I didn't take initiative at first because Wolfman is organizing his new contest from October 13th until November 17th. ....However, if there is enough interest to also play in a Halloween competition I'm happy to organize it. I'm a bit short on spare time so it would be great if I could host / manage this contest together with Darren, Han and Adultery ;) Are you guys up for it...?

A few questions that come to mind...

* How many days / weeks do you guys prefer of playing in this Spooktacular Comp ?

* Do you guys prefer a free selection of games to play during the entire period of the contest ?

A few other Halloween games:

Nightmare in the Dark

Monster Bash

Demon's World / Horror Story

Vs. Castlevania

Splatter House

[i think a poll would be best to make a selection of Halloween games]

>> If the Halloween contest will take place it will be hosted at our Arena Forum

I was thinking 10/3 through 10/31 for the span. A free selection within a decent list of games (use all that have been suggested perhaps?). Just make it a fun comp where we can post some scores. There will probably be some that will get pretty fierce with many players while some of the others may only have one or two participants.

Theme could be The Monster Mash.

So yeah, let's do a list of games, keep track of overall points in a leaderboard, and give away a free banner or sig or something.

The whole month of October. Let's do it!!

• Like 1

Theme could be The Monster Mash.

Dammit Draco now i have the song in my head and i only just woke up! "it was a graveyard smash, waaa-ooooooo wa-wa-wa-ooooooo..."

But yes sounds good to me! Maybe we could test out a certain point system while we're at it ;)

@null - that game looks nearly identical to Castlevania! ^_^ Let's av it!

EDIT - also with just a slight tweak from Adultery (for a new leaderboard), we're already equipped to make the kind of comp that has been suggested! So it'll be minumum fuss on our end :)

Also might want to add SInistar to the list. I know it is space, but it is kinda chilling... I HUNGER!

EDIT: Just a little mashup for the bashup...

post-5872-0-40648200-1410664870_thumb.pn

Maybe it would be best to have a limit say of 10-15 games max, none that have been used in past GotM comps.

• Like 1

Also might want to add SInistar to the list. I know it is space, but it is kinda chilling... I HUNGER!

Maybe it would be best to have a limit say of 10-15 games max, none that have been used in past GotM comps.

@ Draco > Adding Sinistar is a great idea. I'll add it to the list of games :) I also like your idea of selecting new games for this contest and use a limit of 10-15 games. Thanks man !!

About the monster mash banner...I really like the artwork but I personally prefer to use a more Halloween like banner / theme. What do you guys think of the banner below (I think "2014" should be a little bigger / bolder....) ? Please be honest and let me know what you guys think !

@ Draco: you could perhaps also rebuild your banner to a more halloween like theme ? Just throwing my two cents. We don't necessarily have to use my banner. I just think a halloween theme like contest would be very cool ;)

Again, let me know what you guys think !!

halloween_banner.png

• Like 2

Here is an alternative...

post-5872-0-57148500-1411307179_thumb.pn

I am leaving for vacation early Monday AM so will have to pick up where this leaves off upon my return. I decided against Spooltacular because everyone and his brother has one.

...also a very cool banner Draco !! B)

I'm happy to start creating the Halloween Contest thread (banner can be decided later on). However, I'm not 100% sure though if you were planning to host the contest or you were merely suggesting we could organize something like this. Either way is fine with me btw ;). Just let me know. Thanks !

I would like to defer the hosting and the finer details of the comp to our resident experts if that is OK with you! ;) I am more of an "idea person" than most and would be easily lost trying to manage the formats and details you, Darren and Aaron have mastered over the last few years.

• Like 1

I would like to defer the hosting and the finer details of the comp to our resident experts if that is OK with you! ;) I am more of an "idea person" than most and would be easily lost trying to manage the formats and details you, Darren and Aaron have mastered over the last few years.

Totally cool with me ;)

I decided against Spooktacular because everyone and his brother has one.

What do you exactly mean by this ? Do you think "Spooktacular" is being used too often in regard to Halloween contests ?

Can't forget Adultery/Mike's fantastic programming contributions as well. I would like to encourage this comp for GameEx users if at all possible. As for the use of Spooktacular, yeah, it is a bit overused, especially here in the States.

...I would like to encourage this comp for GameEx users if at all possible.

We could decide to accept "Game Snapper" images only. You would have to use GameEx to take a snapshot of your hi-score screen.

Making this mandatory could and possibly will result in less members playing in this contest. Definitely something to consider. I'll discuss this with the HS Team ;)

As for the use of Spooktacular, yeah, it is a bit overused, especially here in the States.

Monster Mash Classic Arcade Bash is also a great option...Choices, choices ;)

Monster Mash Classic Arcade Bash is also a great option...

I like this, now if only we knew someone who could remix the song :lol:

"We did the Mash,

We did the Monster Mash,

We did the Mash,

The Classic Arcade Bash,

We did the Mash,

It was a GameEx Smash!

We did the Mash...

WAH-OOOOOOOOOOOO

WAH WAH WAH-OOOOOOOOO..."

Sorry ^_^ for all you youngun's:

• Like 3

We could decide to accept "Game Snapper" images only. You would have to use GameEx to take a snapshot of your hi-score screen.

Making this mandatory could and possibly will result in less members playing in this contest. Definitely something to consider. I'll discuss this with the HS Team ;)

Monster Mash Classic Arcade Bash is also a great option...Choices, choices ;)

If you want to open it up to all GameEx forum members instead of just GameEx users I am fine with that. I know there were concerns voiced with "bump and runs" mentioned in the past with the "open to all" comps.

If open to all, then I would suggest opening the comp in the Arena to provide that separation from the regular GameEx Hi Score comps.

So open the thread up and let's get this puppy going. You can hide the thread until October if you want. ;)

Where's the list of games? I'll add them to the db.

If you want to do the snapper plugin for it I need to make an adjustment to the php code and can't test until the games are in the database.

I also need to create an online favorites file for this. I can probably generate one using the comp name.

I have lots to do before this comp gets started... ;)

So open the thread up and let's get this puppy going. You can hide the thread until October if you want. ;)

Where's the list of games? I'll add them to the db.

If you want to do the snapper plugin for it I need to make an adjustment to the php code and can't test until the games are in the database.

I also need to create an online favorites file for this. I can probably generate one using the comp name.

I have lots to do before this comp gets started... ;)

I've sent you and a few other members a PM discussing whether or not to make use of the snapper tool ;)

What about some for the pinballers too! Could serve to bridge the two communities a bit more.

Although I like the idea very much I personally think it's perhaps a little late in the day to also add Pinball games to this particular contest. How many GameEx / Mame users for example also have pinball software installed ? Compared to Mame it's not very easy to configure. That's why I still haven't installed any Pinball software - apart from Pinball FX2 (through Steam).

I do think it's a very great idea however to organize a contest with both Mame and pinball games which serves to bridge the two communities !

....maybe I'm mistaken and we could easily add pinball games to the Monster Mash contest. Please share your thoughts about this guys :)

@ Draco > the Monster Mash Contest will be held in the Arena and is seperated from the regular Game Hi-Score Competition.