All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Os choice

falkensmaze

My cab has been out of action for a few years, it ran xp but whilst getting it back together I'm thinking of using win7 64 I will primarily use mame and model 2 but would still like options of project 64 etc will I run in to issues using win 7 64? Thanks

I've been overhauling all my emulators recently, and can also confirm that PJ64 2.1 runs perfectly under Win7 x64. I've also not had any problems with Model 2 v1.1a. Mame pretty much keeps up with all current operating systems AFAIK. I think you're good to go dude!

I'm running Win7 x64 and I've ran everything under the sun. MAME is no problem and you can even split screen various Model 2 games without any slowdown or what have you. Project64 runs smooth as butter except if you want perfect Nintendo 64 emulation you'll have to achieve that via multiple emulators, which Win7 x64 can run as well.

The only road blocks I've faced are certain applications that won't run on a 64 bit operating system but as you're using this primarily for your cab and not as your primary cpu, I doubt you'd ever run into this problem.

• Like 1

From my own experience, I have noticed a performance improvement with Win 7 over XP on some PCs that were built prior to Vista/Win 7, others not so much without having to upgrade either the amount of installed RAM and/or upgrading the GPU.

Support and security are good reasons to move on if the hardware is capable.

• Like 1

From my own experience, I have noticed a performance improvement with Win 7 over XP on some PCs that were built prior to Vista/Win 7, others not so much without having to upgrade either the amount of installed RAM and/or upgrading the GPU.

Support and security are good reasons to move on if the hardware is capable.

But not privacy. Newer OS's have adopted more data collection and tracking technologies. Although they'er for support and development, they are by no means more private. Modern OS have been optimized for the internet sharing age, not the privacy age. But that's the price of convenience.

I too hated saying goodbye to my old friend Windows XP (RIP). But I have to agree with Draco, I noticed a big performance improvement in the jump to the newer OS on an older machine. Especially in certain emulators like Dolphin and Project 64, and with the overall Windows experience in general. My cab is never connected to the internet, so I guess privacy isn't really a big concern for me at this point. Any tweaking or whatever is done by using external drives to add new things or what not. I think Win7 is a good choice, and things should run just fine. Good luck with the upgrade :)

Apple's too expensive and linux is too...well, linux. I hate and begrudgingly have to use 8.1 for a tablet essential for school. 7 is very nice, I like it a lot, but XP is where my heart was...before microsoft took it off life support (That one's gonna take time to heal). Meanwhile 8 is spitting on the memory. Android's not bad.