All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

When using Frontend DMD option.. pinballx locks up upon launch.

jsncarter

So I downloaded the new version 1.87. When I check the option to use the Rom as the DMD video. It just freezes pinballx upon launch. The Rom is playing, but the table and backglass are frozen. No buttons or mouse will work. No matter the table or Rom. At that point I have to CTRL ALT DELTE and restart the computer. Anyone else having trouble with the new Rom as the DMD video option?

Windows 7 pro, I3, 8gigs of ram. Pinballx version 1.87. Geforce 560ti latest drivers. The log file and ini. don't show anything as the program locks up and stops writing to them.

Thanks Jason.

Looks like everything got reset and lost groups

List all "other" except 2 pinballfx2 and mame list other 8

Restored pinballx configuration settings from a backup and all ok now. But something is wrong with the last version for sure.

Everyone should always have a backup just incase

Looks like everything got reset and lost groups

List all "other" except 2 pinballfx2 and mame list other 8

Restored pinballx configuration settings from a backup and all ok now. But something is wrong with the last version for sure.

Everyone should always have a backup just incase

Out of interest, what files should we backup before installing the latest version ?

I am pretty sure that was just a one off issue but settings are stored in \config and your databases in \databases. That's the only place pinballx and its tools writes data to. Again, it will be unusual to lose your settings but its always good to have backups. I could not repeat the issue.

Well I fixed this problem somewhat. I was using a USB to VGA adapter for my 3rd monitor. This was the DMD monitor. I removed that and uninstalled the drivers for the USB to VGA adapter. After that it is working fine except it does kill the sound on AFM. After I got it working, I reinstalled the USB to VGA adapter. It locked up pinballX again upon launch. I got rid of the adapter and put a new video card in the cab that can run 3 monitors. Working correctly now. Just wanted to update you Tom that there may be an issue with the USB to VGA adapters. I know a few guys who use those for the DMD monitor.

Thanks

Jason

I think, the lock-up problems above are somehow related also to my "lost keystrokes" problems I've reported in the 1.86 beta thread (sometimes I also got a complete lock up). Going back to the standard keycode config also didn't help.

Remember: I had these problems only, when switching to tables with PinMAME DMD enabled (for my Real DMD). So when VPinMAME was called by PBX. DMD videos had no problem.

Inspired by jsncarter's post about USB problems I started some more investigations and

1.) removed my I-PAC2 button controller (USB)

2.) exchanged my standard Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo (USB) against old-fashioned PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse.

In the end I came to the conclusion, that when I remove the mouse (regardless if USB or PS/2) my keystuck problems and lock up problems disappeared !!!!

Also with a wired USB keyboard and the I-PAC2 reconnected via USB: No problems

My (new) theory:

VPinMAME (which is called from PBX via VPinMAMELaunch.exe) does something strange with the mouse.

In the standard PinMAME32 there is an option to enable/disable the mouse but I have no idea, what VPinMAME does with the mouse.

Do you guys also have a mouse connected to your machines ?

If yes, give it a try to disconnect the mouse and reboot the machine. (and please report here)

Thanks for your support.

EDIT: I had to reboot without mouse. Hot-unplugging didn't help.

Which version do you mean ?

I read here about a "new", a "newer" and a "latest".

I now have three different v1.87 on my file server ...

Wouldn't it be possible to have a clear and unique version numbering scheme with subversion numbers in the filename for PBX ?

Sorry for my cynicism, but I work in a company with a lot of CMMI-dependent colleagues ;-)

Back to your question: I have tested the behaviour described above with a pinballx.exe dated 31.08.2014 10:33.

If this is the very latest: No, it doesn't help.

No harm meant! ;-) Thanks for your help