All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Roms launch with CMD but not with GameEx

alexdelarge

Hi guys,

I have a lot of MAME roms that won't launch with GameEx but do launch with CMD.

For example the game 'Viewpoint'; it launches fine with MAME in CMD without command line options. But in GameEx, the game will not launch. If I select the game, the screen goes black for a quick moment and then returns to GameEx. Other MAME roms will launch in GameEx but there are many that won't.

I tried it with and without MAME command line options in GameEx. Did not make a difference. All the paths are correct. The same executable and paths are used in CMD.

I have attached the GameEx.ini, mame.ini and the GameEx log file in this post. Hope anyone can figure it out?

GameEx version: 13.27
MAME version: 0.154
Roms version: 1.53

Thanks,
Michel

<< UPDATE!! >>

The rom 'Viewpoint' will launch with GameEx Lite. I haven't tested it, but I pressume the rest of the roms also will launch with GameEx Lite. But with this solution comes a different problem: With GameEx Lite there are no video previews in the games list. Is that a setting in GameEx Lite or in my theme? If I could get the video previews back again, this solution with GameEx Lite version would be fine with me.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

mame.ini

Viewpoint launches without issue for me in GameEX, and my emumovies work in lite version, so something else must be going on.

Cool game BTW

This sticks out to me in the GameEx.ini

controls.ini not found

Check here and report back.

The files located on that page ensure everything required is available, I didn't see anything else, but a double check wouldn't hurt.

The strange thing is that 'Viewpoint' - among others, will work with CMD and GameEx Lite. Only with GameEx the game will not launch. So this tells me that MAME and the rom are okay. Has to be something with GameEx. Could the missing file controls.ini the cause of it? It's not a logical cause.

I could use GameEx Lite, but there are no preview video's of the games. I don't like that.

And indeed, Viewpoint is a cool game :)

I agree that it wouldn't be something that I think would create this problem, but at the same time it couldn't hurt to try. Another member reported an issue exactly like this last week, so it makes me wonder why some people are experiencing this, while others are not. I was right in and playing in no time, which leads me to believe it's not a GameEx problem, as I'm running the same version. Is your rom set current?

I'm running vanilla MAME BTW

ah, looked right past that one, thanks Dazzle!

Edited by tthurman

MAME version: 0.154

Roms version: 1.53

This will only cause you major problems down the line and i suspect is what is causing problems now. You should either update your romset to .154 or roll back your MAME version to .153

To get a better idea of what is going on, try running Viewpoint in GameEx full, when it fails exit GameEx then go to All Programs> GameEx> Utilities. Right-click "Run Last Game" choose Edit then add PAUSE on a new line at the end. Now run Run Last Game and the cmd window will stay open. I suspect you'll see a lot of missing file errors.

• Like 1

Tonight I tried the things that were suggested. None of them resulted in a solution.

1) I added the controls.ini file and configured GameEx to use this file. Made no difference.

2) I used MAME .153 instead of the newest release of MAME. Made no difference. I'm using .154 again.

3) The 'Run Last Game' option. Useless in this case. Let me clarify.
I launched Viewpoint in GameEx and it exited immediately. I closed GameEx, opened the runitgame.bat file. The file was empty, it was 0 bytes. This does not occur with other rom files that are launching just fine. So the launch of Viewpoint goes wrong before GameEx can write to the batch file. It must be right after launching the game

As mentioned before, I do not have this problem with GameEx Lite. The downside of Lite is that there are no video previews. A fix for that would also be a solution.

No, I did not use GameEx Lite. After a re-installation and configuration of GameEx, I launched the full version, selected the game and Viewpoint worked again. Don't know what caused it, but I rather play Viewpoint than trying to figure out what the problem was ;)