All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Magic & Bird - A Courtship of Rivals

GimmeClassics

I've just watched the documentary "Magic & Bird - A Courtship of Rivals"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtykEHPRO1Q

....Wow ! ....it brought tears to my eyes....

Warriors on the court, fighting for every inch of the championship, but off the court, really great friends !

Larry Bird and Magic Johnson saved and built NBA Basketball. They were the standard for greatness. The NBA hasn't been that great in a very long time.

Now after watching this documentary, I can see how important this rivalry was for the NBA.

Highly recommended. Even if you don't like Basketball !

• Like 1

I saw this post earlier today, and was just about to watch it, until I realized that wasn't one minute 27 :P

I watched these guys in college and pro ball, so I'm betting you're spot on about this one. I'll check it out for sure!

• Like 1

I have never been a fan of the Lakers or the Celtics, but there was no escaping these NBA dynasty's if you've ever watched the sport. I really had no idea these two had any sort of off the court relationship, much less one that grew into such a tight bond. I recall watching Bird in agony during many NBA finals, but no idea he was such a introvert. I remember Magic's press confrence almost like it was yesterday, it was surreal.

Highly recommended. Even if you don't like Basketball !

I'll second that!

Nope, I've never been to Boston, LA, or anywhere that I was aware of that they would have been playing. I was however born in Kentucky, Louisville, Kentucky to be exact, and basketball is king in Kentucky (regardless of how good or bad they are). I grew up watching the Louisville Cardinals play, my dads Alma mater, and recall the 1979 Championship between the Spartans, and a team I had never heard of. Even though Bird had a bad game, he had already made a name for himself, I was just unaware. I was only 12 at that time, and truth be known, I was into watching college ball because my dad was. :)

I have much respect for Johnson and Bird, but enjoyed the 1980 NCAA Tournament considerably more. :D

• Like 1

Indiana State for Bird was an odd ball college location. Michigan State for Magic. Those years were a little before my time. I was old enough to enjoy Bird v. Magic in their final years. I have a tendency to both like the Celtics, due to McHale who is from Minnesota and then hate them for getting Garnett from us. Not their fault though, our management was awful and didn't build a competitive team around Garnett. We're about to lose K Love to the Cavs now too. I don't like Loves game anywhere near as much as I liked Garnett's game though.

I was somewhat hoping Lebron and Durant could start a rivalry. We shall see I guess. I miss the old days. Jordan vs. everybody. Patrick Ewing, Olajuwon, Miller dropping threes, Stockton/Malone, even Shaquille is not around. Just not the same these days.

• Like 2