All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Spectaculator 8.0 how to remap keys...

repetto74

Hi guys,

I am using Spectaculator to emulate the ZX Spectrum and running fine with Gammex. My only concern is to know how to remap keys within the emulator to play games with the josytick of my cab control panel.

There are many different peripherals hardware emulated in Spectaculator so how to remap ZX spectrum keyboard to the PC keys inputs used by my control panel?

Thanks

Rick

this is from the manual:

Comcom programmable joystick interface

This interface allows you to map the joystick directional controls and fire button to any key on the Spectrum keyboard. Spectaculator emulates an enhanced version that allows you to map up to 32 buttons available on modern PC joysticks/gamepads.

To setup Comcom joystick emulation

1. Ensure the game controller you want to use is installed and configured correctly.
  2. On the Tools menu, click Options.
  3. Click the Joystick tab
  4. Choose the PC game controller (player 1 or 2) you want to use from the list.
  5. Choose Comcom programmable joystick from the list.

To map the directional controls and fire buttons to the Spectrum keyboard

1. Click Configure Button Mappings for either Player 1 or Player 2.
  2. Click the joystick control in the list whose keyboard mapping you want to change.
  3. Press the key on the keyboard you want to assign to it.

Tip

• You can also press the actual button on the game controller (or move the directional control in the required direction) whose keyboard mapping you want to change, rather than clicking it in the list.
  • Like 1

Will this work if I want to remap the ZX Spectrum keys to the PC keys? My control panel uses the PC keys inputs through a JAMMA PC interface.

In your guide I am supposed to have a gamepad controller connected and installed which I do not have....

At least i would try it.

This is also from the manual:

To assign joystick buttons to Spectrum keyboard key presses, joystick directional movement or the main joystick fire button

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
  2. Click the Joystick tab and click Configure Button Mappings for either Player 1 or Player 2.
  3. Click the button in the list whose keyboard mapping you want to change.
  4. Choose one of:
    • Press the key on the keyboard you want to assign.
    • Move the joystick in the direction you want to assign.
    • Press the same button again to map it to the main fire button.

Tips

• You can also press the actual button on the game controller whose keyboard mapping you want to change, rather than clicking the button in the list.
  • To map the directional controls to the Spectrum keyboard, use the Comcom programmable joystick interface.

Note

• You can only assign keys that appear on the 48k Spectrum keyboard to joystick buttons. In particular, convience keys that map to more than one Spectrum key in Spectaculator cannot be chosen.

On the original ZX spectrum the keys used to play a game from the keyboard are mapped to the PC keyboard but do not correspond to the inputs programmed on my control panel joystick (Ultimarc joystick with switches) and buttons.

Hi Rick - would you mind providing us with a copy of your emulator config for this? I don't run emulation for this system but it may be useful for other memebers of our team to have a look and help. Thanks!

what ultimarc joystick do you use? and what Jamma to PC interface?

If you have a a J-Pac or I-Pac you can use their Programmable Interface App: http://www.ultimarc.com/download.html

The downside is, you would need to load your config-settings prior starting Spectrum-emu and loading default config-settings, after exit Spectrum-Emu.

PS: did you read the tips from the manual? cant believe that this doesnt work, but ok, I cant check, cause i havent this emulator running in my system.

First thanks to everybody for your help on this much appreciated.

I have played with options and have almost solved the problem. In the spectaculator Options under Keyboard tab I can select which hardware I want to emulate with the PC keyboard. I selected then the Kempton joystick which is almost an available option in many games. The only problem is now I can make the joystick to work (Spectatculator has a pre inputs on the PC arrow keys which are also mapped to my joystick player1) but no fire as the fire is programmed on the Tab key which is not used now. I can of course re-program the Jpac to use the Tab key for fire button but I do not want to screw up all my settings for MAME emulation....

just read the manual carefully, i am sure that even the fire button can be mapped. just check it. and even if not, you can save your configs for j-pac and create new ones. if it is so much hassle for you, you can change configs manually by loading the right settings with their App. Who dares wins ;) .

• 1 month later...

Hi U-Man

Sorry for the late reply, just back from holidays :-)

I have tried to grab out some documentation on how to use spectaculator but can't find anything over the web....

There should be a way to remap the TAB key which assign the Kempton fire button to another keystroke on the keyboard. Maybe if I look into the config file of Spectaculator?