All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

gameex 'crashy' sound when displaying preview videos

gonzo

Hi, I'm new on the forum.

These last months i've been building a pc dedicated to emulation with gameex and a few emulators (mame, super nes megadrive, N64 and GBA). The pc is connected to a CRT TV via UMSA adaptator.

I've got a few problems that i coudn't manage.

One problem is about a disturbing buzzy/crashy noise that occurs when a preview video is desplayed when navigating through the menu of gameex.

I have attached the video that show the problem.

Note that once i am in the mame menu and that i have navigated through a few games (about 10) then the buzzing sound does'nt occur anymore. However it starts again each time i go out of the mame menu and reach the main menu.

my config is :

Athlon XP 3000+ 2.16 Mhz

512 mo ram

Radeon 9200se with CRT_emu drivers for 15 khz

Windows XP

Gameex 13.20

Vista COdec package 6.5.3 FInal version

The preview video are mp4 videos downloaded from emumovies.

Thanks for your help

gameex annoying sound.wmv

Welcome! First thing I will recommend is that you download and install latest version of GameEx. We are at version 13.26 now. This will often fix any issues that you may be having by overwriting any corrput files from a previous update. Also when reporting a possible GameEx bug or error, please submit a copy of your log.txt and gameex.ini file so we may quickly assist you. Please refer to this link for additional information on how to locate and post these files to the forum.

A few things to consider would be trying another theme and reporting back as to whether or not the same issue occurs. Also will be good to know if opening the .wav files for the GameEx sound effects and intro videos outside of GameEx produces the same sounds. You may need to uninstall/reinstall your codecs and/or sound card drivers.

• Like 1

HI thanks for your help,

I have:

- updated to version 13.26 of gameex.

- reinstalled and updated the shark007 codec pack

- reinstalled the drivers of my integrated sound chipset

The problem persists. PLease find attached a new video where you can see this noise is just awfully LOUD :-)

I have tested outside gameex opening directly the files with Windows media player and vlc player and there is no annoying sound like that.

please find the gameex.ini and the logfile also.

I hope that can be helpfull.

Thanks

PS : i included the logfile and .ini file using the special BBcode gameex support file mask (+ copy paste of the files). But I don't know if the insertion worked correctly.

gameex_annoying_sound2.wmv

I am going to ask you to try something else. Please try one of the other themes for testing purposes to see if you have the same audio issue. Thanks!

I have tried a few other themes :

some have the buzzy sounds:

Default - Default

Default - Media center

Default - Media center - background

Default - Media center - V1

Default - arcade VGA - low res

Some don't have any buzzy sound:

Acidbrain - Vision

Default - Alpha blue

Default - Media center - background V1

unfortunatly the ones with the buzzy sounds are the one that i prefer because they display for each game on the same screen:

- the video snap preview in a box

- the marquee of the game

- a nice HD fullscreen background of the game

all of this i have downloaded on emumovies.

Have you tried re-downloading the ones you like and installing them over the ones installed on your system? This may or may not fix the issue, but would get us closer to determing if it may be something to do with your codec settings vs. a corrupt .wav file. You could also copy the .wav files from one of the other themes that you like the sounds over the ones in the themes that display as you prefer as well.

• Like 1

No. I will try to re-download the themes i like (those with the buzzy sound) .

but they are all 'default' themes so i guess they have been updated when i switched to v13.26 of gameex two days ago.

Sorry but i didn't understand what you mean in your last sentence.

There are .wav files that are the sounds you hear when you select, click, or make other actions in GameEx. Many of the themes are customized with different sound files. As an example, if you preferred how the Select.wav file sounds from AcidBrain vision better than the same file in Default-Default, you could copy over it from the other theme.

Ok i tried what you suggested but it didn't work.

I took the default-default theme and changed the theme .wav files by the .wav files of the Acid - brainvision but the buzzy sounds are still there.

It doesn't seem it's a problem with the theme .wav but really more an incompatibility between the video preview and the .wav themes whatever this .wav is ; This incompatibility occurs only for some specific themes (see my post above)

I tried a few other configurations on the default-default theme.

- remove all themes .wav files + activate video preview -> NO buzzy sound

- keep the themes .wav files + desacticate preview video (just keep snapshots activated)-> NO buzzy sound

- keep the themes .wav files + desactivate preview video in mame + activate preview video for emulated game section (superNES) -> NO buzzy sound in main menu or mame menu . BUZZY sounds in emulated superNES menu.

Something is going wrong for this theme when trying to play preview video AND theme .wav files ...

Strange because it's not the case for themes like acid-brainvision ...

I will try to put a sound blaster live in my pc instead of the motherboard integrated soundchip to see what happens.

Thanks for continuing to research on your end. As this does not seem to be impacting others, it is very likely that you are dealing with either a sound card driver issue for the integrated sound or a codecs issue. Be sure to let us know if the addon sound card remedies the issue for you.

• 3 months later...

i move up this post just to say that i tried other ways to resolve my problem :

- i tried to use a sound blaster live instead of using the motherboard integrated chipset

- i tried also to increase the amount of ram of my config from 512 to 768 mo.

Unfortunatly it didn't solve this problem of crashy sound with specific themes (neither other problems i have with these themes such as video snaphot stop loading and then have to ctrl-alt-suppr to get out of gameex).

Therefore, I will use themes that does'nt suffer from these problems.

It's a pitty because the themes i liked displayed nice HD images in the background but anyway it's not a big problem to do without it.