All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Database screws up some of my game names

uberpubert69

I got my ROMs all ordered up and renamed using clrmamepro and they are all named properly but the database system screws up some of my games like for instance Kirby's Adventure shows up as Gorby's Pipeline and the description is of Gorby's Pipeline but the preview video is Kirby's Adventure gameplay and the artwork I have is all Kirby's Adventure and when I play the game it's Kirby's Adventure. I don't have Gorby's Pipeline whatsoever in my ROMs folder so.... yeah. lol and Also other games show up like Mario Kart 64 (Revision 0) and will have the description or Jet Moto 2 (USA) () and it doesn't have a description for the game but if it changes the name that would suggest there would be a description made as well. I can't do anything to manually rename my ROMs or ISOs to fix the issue or I'll lose the Description.

Thank you for any help you offer.

Try turning off "Use database Names" for the emulator config. This way it will use your own file names and as long as you still use the database you won't lose the descriptions.

Thank you for the help Tom! Didn't realize there were separate options for the descriptions and names too be used.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it should be. Might just need to delete the map and cache files in the data folder and have GameEx rebuild the data.

I've already deleted my Cache files a few times for other reasons and the problem is still there. and I don't have my PS1 games list set up with a map file either. There is no map file in the map folders either for the PS1. I deleted the cache again and nothing has changed. My ISOs are named properly, they did have a description at one time until I turned off the names. and I dont have the info page disabled. D: This is only affecting my PS1 games btw

I don't think the PS1 database is very complete to be honest and only has a few games listed. Could that be the issue?

I highly doubt it, I have over 82 PS1 games and have Zero descriptions for any of them. looking in the database files my games are in there and are named the way they should be according to the db3. Its kinda hard to mess up on naming games like Frogger or Ghost in the Shell or medievil. All of which I know have the descriptions.

EDIT: My config can be found here http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=15008

I highly doubt it, I have over 82 PS1 games and have Zero descriptions for any of them. looking in the database files my games are in there and are named the way they should be according to the db3. Its kinda hard to mess up on naming games like Frogger or Ghost in the Shell or medievil. All of which I know have the descriptions.

EDIT: My config can be found here http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=15008

Depending on how much this bothers you there's really nothing to stop you from making your own edits to your databases. If that sounds interesting to you scope out this post for some additional info as far as that goes.

If I'm going rouge and making my own edits to the databases I use Database Browser Portable exclusively for working with GameEx SQLite Databases (based on a suggestion from Stu1983). There are a few other options available though.

Well Ghost in the Shell, medeivel and Frogger won't show up as they only match in the HyperList, Redump or GameBase columns and these are still in development and are not used in GameEx yet.

EDIT: Thinking really damn hard about it I may be wrong. But I was certain about there being many descriptions.

Depending on how much this bothers you there's really nothing to stop you from making your own edits to your databases. If that sounds interesting to you scope out this post for some additional info as far as that goes.

If I'm going rouge and making my own edits to the databases I use Database Browser Portable exclusively for working with GameEx SQLite Databases (based on a suggestion from Stu1983). There are a few other options available though.

I have looked around the forums and found that post on my own and I downloaded the database browser portable and installed it. Have no idea what I'm doing though lol.

I can get as far as being able to add and delete stuff to the list but I can't save my changes for some reason and my PS1 database only goes up to 1000 games and stops on the S games and I cant add more. Its fine if thats its limit I'll just have to delete a bunch of the stuff already there. But like I said I can't save my changes. How am do? :blink:

EDIT: I'm getting an error now Cannot convert Type or "cannot convert type (Null) into (OleStr)"

What database editor are you using? Are you using Database Browser Portable or something else? Also are you editing a SQLite DB (*.db3) or an Access DB (*.mdb)?

Edit:

FWIW your error sounds like you're trying to insert a null value into a required field, but without knowing a bit more about the specifics it's hard to say.

What database editor are you using? Are you using Database Browser Portable or something else? Also are you editing a SQLite DB (*.db3) or an Access DB (*.mdb)?

Edit:

FWIW your error sounds like your trying to insert a null value into a required field, but without knowing a bit more about the specifics it's hard to say.

I was trying to use the Database Browser Portable and was using the db3 files in the Emulators data folder, but I ended up going with the SQLite Manager Addon for FireFox. So much easier to use. Now its just a very tedious task to get all the filenames lined up right that weren't and add new games to the list that weren't in the database. But my GameEx lists are getting so nice now, and the Search feature is becoming extremely useful. I appreciate your help as always! :D I'll let you know if I come across any more problems.

• Like 1

but I ended up going with the SQLite Manager Addon for FireFox. So much easier to use.

I didn't know there was a FireFox SQL addon! I might give it a spin seeing as i have a rather niche taste in games. Thanks for the headsup :)

• Like 1

I didn't know there was a FireFox SQL addon! I might give it a spin seeing as i have a rather niche taste in games. Thanks for the headsup :)

Yeah man its so easy you just open the database file and start editing. Was way less complicated than the Database Browser Portable program.

Cool man I'm glad you found a good solution!

I've mentioned this before, but it bears mentioning again that when you're making custom changes to your databases it's a good idea to make a copy of the original database and make changes to that one. The default databases are occasionally updated and deployed with new versions of GameEx. This means that you might lose any changes you've made to your databases if you applied those changes to the default database(s). Not good! So the best bet is to copy the default database, rename it, and point your emulator at the custom database on the Emulator Setup screen in the Setup Wizard (simply make sure your custom database is in the \GameEx\DATA\EMULATORS\ directory and it should appear in the dropdown selections)

Cool man I'm glad you found a good solution!

I've mentioned this before, but it bears mentioning again that when you're making custom changes to your databases it's a good idea to make a copy of the original database and make changes to that one. The default databases are occasionally updated and deployed with new versions of GameEx. This means that you might lose any changes you've made to your databases if you applied those changes to the default database(s). Not good! So the best bet is to copy the default database, rename it, and point your emulator at the custom database on the Emulator Setup screen in the Setup Wizard (simply make sure your custom database is in the \GameEx\DATA\EMULATORS\ directory and it should appear in the dropdown selections)

Thats a great thing to know lol. I've already made too many changes at this point for me to stop, I just copied the folder and made a duplicate so when the database files do get updated I can just replace them.

Just to let you know that the next release of GameEx will be using those new naming fields. So you might want to hold off. It should be released over the weekend.

Not quite sure what you mean by new naming fields. You mean new descriptions for some games? Or that the format is going to change? Either way I've made huge edits to most of my databases already. Are there any disadvantages to just putting my own "GoodName" and stuff?