All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Need help with game names on list

uberpubert69

I have gamecube backups and wii backups that have filenames like "game.iso or GAFE01.wbfs" but they are all in their own folders that has the name of what game they are. Is there a way I can get GameEx to read the folder names that my backups are in and not the name of the files themselves? Otherwise when I go to my gamecube games the entire list just says "game" over and over.

Any help is much appreciated! :)

I could be wrong, but I believe you'll have to end up renaming your GameCube.iso's to a more proper naming convention.

Example: Let's say GAME012345 is "Animal Crossing" then you would simply rename too something like Animal Crossing (USA)

I could be wrong, but I believe you'll have to end up renaming your GameCube.iso's to a more proper naming convention.

Example: Let's say GAME012345 is "Animal Crossing" then you would simply rename too something like Animal Crossing (USA)

I hope you are wrong because thats a lot of files to rename. :/

I hope you are wrong because thats a lot of files to rename. :/

Adultery is right. You can checkout redump.org to obtain a GameCube .dat file. I'm not sure what renaming utility is used for GameCube iso's but I'm sure a quick Google search would put you on the right track. I use CLRMamePro for ROM sets, I'm not sure if it'll work with Disc based games...

Basically you'll "plugin" your .dat file into your ROM manager/renaming utility, it'll scan your "ROMs" folder and rename accordingly based on the ROM/Game names contained in the .dat file..

Adultery is right. You can checkout redump.org to obtain a GameCube .dat file. I'm not sure what renaming utility is used for GameCube iso's but I'm sure a quick Google search would put you on the right track. I use CLRMamePro for ROM sets, I'm not sure if it'll work with Disc based games...

Basically you'll "plugin" your .dat file into your ROM manager/renaming utility, it'll scan your "ROMs" folder and rename accordingly based on the ROM/Game names contained in the .dat file..

Sounds a bit complex. Just looked up a GameCube and Wii iso renaming utility and only found some command line stuff. I guess I'll just rename my ISOs manually if GameEx doesnt have anything in the settings that can help.

/me facepalm

It's up to you to name all your ROMs in one of many commonly used formats, every last collection depends on the naming for the best results. Some things are just not going to be automated, this hobby takes elbow grease, and a good deal of it.

I can't put it much better than riffman did, but here:

• You download a DAT. Try ReDump.org for a GameCube DAT File download.
  • Then you get a ROM Manager, like ClrMAMEPro.
  • Then you load the DAT in the software.
  • Tell it where your ROMs reside.
  • Scan.
  • ???
  • Profit!!

I have a full set of GameCube iso's and I manually renamed all of them... over 600 titles took me a few hours. Do you have an emumoives account? I downloaded the full GameCube video snap set from there and renamed all my iso files based on the naming of the video files. It was a matter of copy, rename, paste, etc. Until the entire set was renamed. Provided that you know what games are in what folder...

I know there are utilities that help with PSX games, not sure if those same utilities work with GC since most GC files are in .iso or .gcm (.gcm is simply a GameCube .iso file with a different file extention and can be renamed to .iso) and PSX games are in .bin .cue

I'll do some digging around and see whatelse I can find to help you out.

/me facepalm

It's up to you to name all your ROMs in one of many commonly used formats, every last collection depends on the naming for the best results. Some things are just not going to be automated, this hobby takes elbow grease, and a good deal of it.

I can't put it much better than riffman did, but here:

• You download a DAT. Try ReDump.org for a GameCube DAT File download.
  • Then you get a ROM Manager, like ClrMAMEPro.
  • Then you load the DAT in the software.
  • Tell it where your ROMs reside.
  • Scan.
  • ???
  • Profit!!

lol it was really late and I wasn't comprehending what you were saying. But I do now. I'll let you know how things turn up.

I have a full set of GameCube iso's and I manually renamed all of them... over 600 titles took me a few hours. Do you have an emumoives account? I downloaded the full GameCube video snap set from there and renamed all my iso files based on the naming of the video files. It was a matter of copy, rename, paste, etc. Until the entire set was renamed. Provided that you know what games are in what folder...

I know there are utilities that help with PSX games, not sure if those same utilities work with GC since most GC files are in .iso or .gcm (.gcm is simply a GameCube .iso file with a different file extention and can be renamed to .iso) and PSX games are in .bin .cue

I'll do some digging around and see whatelse I can find to help you out.

Thats crazy. No I don't have an emumovies account. I've gotten every video from there downloading 1 by 1 and like 20 videos a day was my limit. I actually had to take .xmv previews for the Xbox I found on a FTP server and convert them to MP4 for my mame collection and I'm still missing a bit of videos still.

I suspect a matching utility will not be of much use here if the disc images really are named "game.iso", "GAFE01.wbfs", and the like. There's just not enough of a "handle" there to find a good match I should think.

Like everyone else I would strongly endorse learning a ROM management tool such as ClrMamePro or ROMCenter. The obvious benefit here is that all your games will conform to standard naming conventions via an automated tool. The less obvious benefit (but infinitely more valuable IMO) is that through the use of the tool, you can rest assured that your disc images are valid and not corrupted in any way (this last one is especially important for disc images).

For new(ish) users I tend to recommend ROMCenter. It’s a great tool to have in your arsenal. Here are a couple of tutorials to help get you started with ROMCenter:

Romcenter 3 tutorial
ROMCenter Wiki

Another great tool to be aware of is the venerable ClrMamePro. ClrMamePro is not nearly as user friendly as ROMCenter, but it’s got a lot more history behind it, and often times you’ll see the grizzled old emulation veterans using CMP over ROMCenter.

Here’s the complete guide to using ClrMamePro.

Good luck man!

I used clrmamepro with a gamecube dat from redump. The only disc img that was renamed was Super Smash Brothers Melee. I figured what Nullpointer said would happen because the files themselves are all disc.iso for my gamecube backups and my Wii backups are named after their internal name like GAFE01.wbfs. Another reason I dont wish to rename the ISOs themselves is because my Wii cant play them unless game.iso is their name. The Wii backups dont require their names to be the way they are though so I sshould be able to just rename them. I use my External HDD both for my PC and Wii .

Another reason I dont wish to rename the ISOs themselves is because my Wii cant play them unless game.iso is their name. The Wii backups dont require their names to be the way they are though so I sshould be able to just rename them. I use my External HDD both for my PC and Wii .

A Ha! I'm not sure I follow you completely, but if the disc images need to retain their current naming structure then I would recommend using a map file to display these games within GameEx. Basically a map file maps a file name (i.e. "game.iso") to a display name (i.e. "Super Smash Brothers Melee"). There are a number of tools that can assist you in the creation of map files, but in this particular case there may still be a good deal of manual intervention involved. Take a look at one (or both) of the following: (apologies to out super talented development team if I've missed any):

Map File Maker

Map File Magician

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ended up making my GameCube files as game.iso again because I need them to be named in that fashon for my Wii to recognize and play them. And I switch from my Wii to my PC often because my stuff is on and External HDD. So I came back to this issue today and I'm trying to make MAP files for my GameCube ISOs so I can have them on my GameEx menu again and when I use Map File Maker all of my ISOs load up in the list but don't tell me the Directory they're in so I can't make their names in the list properly beacause the folders they reside in have their name.

You have all been extremely helpful in my efforts to make my dream machine! :D

EDIT: After messing with the MAP File Maker program I've come across another issue. I was renaming each game in the list one by one for example I would rename one Game.iso on the list something like Test and I would play that game in GameEx and after determining what game that was I renamed it from Test to something like Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest. But if I tried to do the same thing again with another name no matter what GameEx will choose to play the Zelda game not the new "Test" game so I cant figure out what game I'm trying to play nor can I play it. Another thing I realized is, since all my Gamecube ISOs are called Game.iso all my preview videos would be the same for each game regardless of the Map file. Really need to find a way around this. :/

The only way I can think of would be to have a set for your Wii and a duplicate set in another folder that you can give a game name to and match to preview vids, etc. for use with an emulator and playable via GameEx.

The only way I can think of would be to have a set for your Wii and a duplicate set in another folder that you can give a game name to and match to preview vids, etc. for use with an emulator and playable via GameEx.

I was afraid of this. I don't really want to take up twice the space just to get around renaming my games. :( But I'll do what I got to do I guess.

Be more specific, learns me plz. I know .lnk is a shortcut but I have no idea how to make a shortcut for an ISO and make it work on GameEx. It can't be as simple as right clicking my ISO and hitting create shortcut and putting the shortcut in a "ROM" directory and pointing GameEx to that folder with the filter as .lnk can it?

EDIT: tried doing the .lnk files acting as the ISOs and Dolphin just crashes when it tries to load the .lnk

I'm in need of a solution too. Is there a way to populate GameEx using the folder for a game rather than the filename itself? In my case, all of my GC games are in separately named folders, then each folder has a single "game.iso" (or disc2.iso for the second disc if it has one) e.g. "\Mario Power Tennis [GOME01]\game.iso". The same goes for my wii games, but they're all in WBFS format, so they actually have their gameid as the filename ("\Ghost Squad [RGSE8P]\RGSE8P.wbfs"), so a map file would almost certainly work for those.

Man, I wish the people who wrote DIOS MIOS for the Wii didn't have this naming convention for GC games D:

• Like 1

I'm in need of a solution too. Is there a way to populate GameEx using the folder for a game rather than the filename itself? In my case, all of my GC games are in separately named folders, then each folder has a single "game.iso" (or disc2.iso for the second disc if it has one) e.g. "\Mario Power Tennis [GOME01]\game.iso". The same goes for my wii games, but they're all in WBFS format, so they actually have their gameid as the filename ("\Ghost Squad [RGSE8P]\RGSE8P.wbfs"), so a map file would almost certainly work for those.

Man, I wish the people who wrote DIOS MIOS for the Wii didn't have this naming convention for GC games D:

Exactly how mine's set up. Such a pain. :(

I have never tried it, but I'm sure that I read somewhere that you can use the full path in a mapfile.

Name That I Want To Display|D:\My Rom Folder\Name Of Game\Game.iso

Edit: I think that is backwards, it should be:

D:\My Rom Folder\Name Of Game\Game.iso|Name That I Want To Display

If it works at all.... :P

Edited by Tempest
dyslexia
  • Like 1

I have never tried it, but I'm sure that I read somewhere that you can use the full path in a mapfile.

Name That I Want To Display|D:\My Rom Folder\Name Of Game\Game.iso

Edit: I think that is backwards, it should be:

D:\My Rom Folder\Name Of Game\Game.iso|Name That I Want To Display

If it works at all.... :P

Just tried that and it didnt work sadly. :/ and even though I have it either way only Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest will load even if I choose Metroid Prime 2 or anything else so MAP files seem to be useless for me