All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[PLUGIN] MAME Commander 2

Adultery

mclogo.png

MAME Commander 2

post-680-0-60251100-1363638985_thumb.png post-680-0-44030400-1363638989_thumb.png post-680-0-34682400-1363638993_thumb.png post-680-0-56136900-1363638997_thumb.png post-680-0-15507400-1363639001_thumb.png post-680-0-88732800-1363639004_thumb.png post-680-0-44154200-1386741614_thumb.png

Take complete control of your MAME games with this plugin. Version 2.1.0 is a complete, from the ground up re-write of the earlier 2.0.8 Mame Commander. This change brings a ton of new features, as well as the best of the old version. You can control nearly every aspect of your MAME launching. Here's the rundown:

MAME Integration

• Search all of everything using MAME.
  • Select from the following criteria:
    • ROM Name
    • Game Name
    • Manufacturer
    • Category
    • Release Year
    • # Of Players
    • # Of Buttons
    • Driver
  • Check your XML based off the current version of MAME
  • Set a MAME path or just use GameEx's MAME.EXE location
  • Set your support file paths or use GameEx's specified files

Command Settings

• Add or remove the game from GameEx's Filter List
  • Add or remove the game from GameEx's Do Not Filter List
  • Set a custom global command line for that game
    Note: This overrides your global command line for GameEx but does not replace it!
  • Set game specific commands to be sent when the game is run

Override Settings

• Check the box to enable/disable Emulator overrides
  • Browse for the emulator you wish to use
  • Set up the commands to be sent to the emulator
    Note: This supports all GameEx command line switches also (ie "[RomPath]\[RomFile]", etc)

Launch Before/After/Also Launch Integration

• Setting a command for Launch Before will launch the command before the game runs
  • Setting a command for Launch Also will launch the command the same time that game runs
  • Setting a command for Launch After will launch the command after the game exits
  • A command might look something like this: C:\Xpadder\Xpadder.exe "C:\Xpadder\Emulator Profiles\NES-1.xpadderprofile" "C:\Xpadder\Emulator Profiles\NES-2.xpadderprofile"

Search Filtering

• Set ROM, Driver, and Emulation Status filters to apply when searching for games
  • Check the box to only search the ROMs you have added to GameEx

Extra Game Information

• View your art for the selected game
  • Get all the MAME info on the game, like status, savestate support, etc
  • View the game's History and MameInfo information
  • See all the dip switches for a game and what their values are
  • See all the ROMs required and some info about them

Mame Switch Importer

• Browse a list of switches split up by category
  • View a brief description of the switch's purpose when applied
  • Shows an example of the MAME switch
  • Add To Global adds the command-line switch (and value if needed) to the global command for that game
  • Add To Game adds the command-line switch (and value if needed) to the game switches

Any questions or comments? Feel free to ask 'em. I also like feature requests.

Download it here:

NOTE: MAME Commander 2 is not packed in with GameEx! The lighter weight MC Lite is, however, and is suitable for most users... Most of the advanced features have been removed from the Lite version and the search does not rely on the MAME xml. If you need something more, or need greater control of your MAME build, this plugin is for you. It should be noted that the MAME all games XML is a big file, and if you use an older system you may have issues using this version.

Download @ DracLabs, or use the DracLabs Plugin Downloader software

Beta Version [Current - 2.1.6u1]:

NOTE: this is a beta version, you can try out all the new features of the plugin before they're released. If you choose to use this beta version and you encounter an error, please enable "Debug Mode" in the configuration and provide your full log so I can address it.

Download @ DracLabs, or use the DracLabs Plugin Downloader software

CHANGELOG

2.1.5 <> 2.1.6:

• Added icon to show wether game is listed in your GameEx ROM list
    If it shows as not added, you need to check your filter options and/or update your MAME game list within GameEx
  • Added setting to default MAME paths under "MAME Options/Path Options"
    This will change your settings to the GameEx.ini values when clicked
  • Added check for games that are muted in the screen saver when the global command line has been changed
  • Added check for MAME to mute when subbed with another emulator
    Only MAME offers this option. If you use another emulator that's not a MAME build, there will be no change to the emulator settings
  • Cleaned up the XML routine quite a fair amount
  • Added a click to the logo to take you to this thread
  • Added Debug Mode logging under "Help" in the toolstrip
  • Fixed a bug where MameInfo path was not being read or changed if manipulated in the MAME options
  • Polished some routines that needed cleaning up
  • Fixed a bug in the Launch Before/Launch After/Also Launch routine
    To use this feature, make sure you enclose the EXE path in quotes. This path also supports GameEx variables in the same way QuickLaunch does
  • Added more logging in Debug Mode should issues arise while running the plugin

2.1.4:

• Huge stability update!
  • XML version is now checked prior to loading into memory, so plugin loads much faster now
  • Fixed a bug where PlugInManager.exe was crashing unexpectedly during XML creation
  • Fixed a bug where the plugin was unable to update to a new XML after changing it in the Path Setup
  • Added something nice to look at while searches and loading are being performed
  • Optimized the XML writing to file to increase the speed when updating/creating your XML
  • Other minor tweaks/optimizations

2.1.3:

• Added detection for MAME "u" Builds
  • Fixed bug where MAME version could not be detected when comparing XML version and MAME version, or the XML creation got stuck in a loop (only affected "u" builds)
  • Added new search fields:
    • # of buttons
    • Driver
    • Category
  • Added ROM information to the More Info section
  • Fixed a bug where plugin manager was crashing when no MAME exe was specified in GameEx
  • Added a check to fix "/DATA/" path in GameEx configuration
  • Added better support for custom MAME compiles

2.1.1 - 2.1.2:

• Added Emulator Overrides
  • Added GameEx search filter
  • Added Launch Before/After/Also commands
  • Many bugs fixed
  • Added GameEx command conversion

2.1.0:

• Initial Re-Release
  • Like 1

Crumbs, I thought I fixed that... I put in at least 4 hours worth of work on OleDB today and I really thought I squished the bugs. That JIT debugger sucks! It haunts me in my sleep!!

I was using the log module for my own build but I didn't include it in the final compile... I really ought to keep that in there so I can address bug reports without having to pick through errors. I'm going to add that back in next revision.

Thanks again for the assistance HK, you've been a huge help. :)

Looking sweet. I recommend that when you run out of window real estate (which is going to be soon) that you consider breaking things up into pages in a tab control. They are really easy to use too.

Always happy to help out and so glad you're using a real language and not something horrible like AutoHotkey. I can't believe people even attempt making a window based application in that.

Always happy to help out and so glad you're using a real language and not something horrible like AutoHotkey. I can't believe people even attempt making a window based application in that.

Nor I. And I'm an AutoIt scriptor. Because of you and Tom, I've made the move to C# and only use AutoIt for automation. ;)

I'm glad it's actually working! LOL!

I'm really doing this more for practice than anything else. It's a happy side effect that it actually functions! Also I'm writing some pretty sweet classes I can just use in other projects... I coded my own log file creator to report every step of the way and make troubleshooting a hell of a lot easier (no sense in just outputting errors if screwy stuff happens and it doesn't crash the plugin) and my own DB connector which I'm sure will come in handy when I make an Emu Commander in the future... I know how to use tabs already, this just got crazy complicated in a hurry when all it was supposed to do was add one string to the MAME command line.

Never tried AHK but I can't get my dirty hooks embedded into GameEx's namespace with that. :D

Thanks for the props... I think it's progressing well for my very first app. Glad it could be GameEx related too! The SnapShot proggy is on the back burner for now.

Enough rambling. I'm working on the easter egg. :)

/me retreats back into the shadows

Thanks for the kind words you guys! I can't believe no one's really using it, but it's more for me anyways. :)

HUGE update today!

2.01 available now. Go get it! :)

Of course you update it while I am still asleep... DORK! I am very impressed with this program and as I will be spending more time getting my MAME house in order (i.e., compiling MAME to reflect the 0.143 release, CLRMAMEPro, etc.) I can see making this a part of my ongoing tweaking to make my games more enjoyable. Since I am old and have gotten away from cmd lines as my only means of existence, I look forward to being able to apply switches through this utility instead of manually tweaking each one.

One suggestion or maybe not - is it possible to run the Plug-In manager as an application from within GameEx to access this utility? What would it take to be able to use MAME Commander from within GameEx without having to go through Plug-in Manager?

Honestly the way it hooks into GameEx and its functions is through the plugin system. I don't think you'd be able to make changes to anything while GameEx is actually running since it loads the plugin into memory when you start it up. One of the great features of this is that it grabs whatever GameEx processes and changes it on the fly. If I were to load it outside of GameEx I think I would have to initiate MAME through the app and you would have to change your MAME EXE to this... I'm really not sure if that'll work or not.

Half the fun is seizing the plugin system though... There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in there. A lot is possible! :)

I could probably make a standalone quick editor for external programs to edit the ini though... /me ponders

This seems awesome. As soon as I'm done building my new control panel I'm gonna play the heck out of this. Tangentially related question. Is there a comprehensive list mame switches somewhere easy to find/read?

Thanks in advance for helping a newb.

Yes there is, but soon you won't need it. I'm actually adding a pull-down list with a description of each plugin to the next beta. In the mean time you can find Windows command lines for MAME here, but it's basically just the Windows.txt in the MAME DOCS folder. :)

MAME Commander *Updated 12/8/11*

No. Way. :blink: Adultery have you been sent from the future to protect Sarah Conner (and develop MAME Commander in an effort to defeat SkyNet before it becomes sentient)!? If so, I'm with you man! Let's stick it to those robot bastards! :ph34r: FREEDOM!

Just kidding. This program is sweet and I'm really excited to see all the progress. I'm also excited to see what becomes of Emulator Commander. If it's able to manage plugin profiles for PCSX2, ePSXe and the like that would be sweet. Great work man.

It'll serve the same basic function of manipulating the command line. All the extra crap I'm doing now is just fluff. :P

Of course in the case of emulators, it's up to you to make the stuff work. I obviously can't use every emulator available, so I can't get all crazy with the extras the same as I can with MAME.

I'm glad you dig it though, thanks for the kind words. :)

EDIT: Shoot I just realized the date is wrong... I was wondering what the hell you were talking about Null! LOL! I must have picked up an extra day somewhere. Well this release will be out tomorrow then. Don't use it or your rig will explode! LOL!