All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Roms in folders?

The Deuce

I want to use the SNES emulator bsnes with GameEx. The current version of bsnes keeps its ROMs in a seperate folder for each ROM. Hence, the ROMs directory is a list of folders, where each folder is named after the game it contains. Unfortunately, folders are hidden in GameEx, so it can't see any of them. The Setup Wizard guide (http://www.gameex.com/Support/SetupWizardFirstUse.aspx) mentions a "Roms in Folders" option which sounds like it's exactly what I need. Problem is, I can't find this option in the setup for the current version of GameEx. What gives? Is this feature only supported in the registered version or something?

Thanks,

Ian

Unfortunately, that doesn't give me what I'm looking for. I want Gamex to see the folders *themselves* as the names of the games, which is what the "Roms in Folders" option in the tutorial describes. Instead, the "Scan Sub Folders" feature just causes it to use the first file it finds inside the directory as the game's name, which in my case results in a huge list of games named "manifest" (since all the folders contain a manifest.xml file). Please tell me they didn't remove that feature and replace it with Scan Sub Folders!

Ah yes, sorry for misunderstanding the nature of your problem. I was aware that more recent versions of bsnes had issues with ROM path management.

Bsnes v091 rom path problems

I'm as big a bsnes fan as there is, but if I can be candid for a moment I think it's a bit of a baffling (and unfortunate) design decision on the part of byuu.

You are correct that this feature is no longer appears in the setup wizard. This is something that may need to be brought to Tom's attention. The setting does still appear in the GameEx.ini though, so you may be able to make the adjustment manually in your GameEx.ini (back up the file before doing this!)

emu_2_videosnappath=E:\Emulation\Assets\Nintendo_SNES\Video_MP4

emu_2_usedbname=True

emu_2_musicpath=F:\Emulation\Assets\Nintendo_SNES\Music

emu_2_tvadpath=

emu_2_customartname1=Print Advert

emu_2_customartpath1=E:\Emulation\Assets\Nintendo_SNES\Advert

emu_2_imagenotfound=E:\Emulation\Assets\no_img.png

emu_2_mergesets=True

emu_2_romsinfolders=False

I don't currently have an emulator setup for which this would apply, so I'm currently unable to test this out. I think it's certainly worth a shot at any rate.

Edited by nullPointer
Didn't realize the forum software screwed up the quote. Fixed now.

Hmm, it looks like I may not need it, since bsnes seems to have an option to automatically generate a folder from a game file in purify and then run it in bsnes. So I can just launch the game with purify from GameEx, and it takes care of the details.

Thanks!

Oh great, out of the frying pan, into the fire. It turns out that purify closes after launching bsnes, resulting in the GameEx gui coming back up fullscreen as bsnes is launched in the background. Anybody know a way to make GameEx wait on the second process when one process launches another and then closes?

Oh great, out of the frying pan, into the fire. It turns out that purify closes after launching bsnes, resulting in the GameEx gui coming back up fullscreen as bsnes is launched in the background. Anybody know a way to make GameEx wait on the second process when one process launches another and then closes?

Using an advanced config and watching for the other process will work. Do a search in setup wizard and read the help text and it should give you the results you're after.

There is indeed a way to accomplish what you describe. You'll want to apply an advanced emulator config. You can select an advanced emulator config on the Advanced Emulator Settings screen in the setup wizard. Each selection that appears in the dropdown maps back to a config file in the following directory:

... \GameEx\CONFIG\EMULATORS\

• If you're already using an advanced emu config for bsnes, I'd make a copy of that file and rename the copy as something new (probably something specific to bsnes).
  • Open up the setup wizard again and navigate to your bsnes settings.
  • In the Advanced Emu Config dropdown you'll see a new entry for the copied config you created. Select that from the dropdown list and click the '...' button.
  • Welcome to the Advanced Config Editor. You'll notice a tab called 'Process Wait'. Open that tab. You'll want to enter bsnes as Process1.*

*Note that the process may not be called 'bsnes'. You may need to open up Windows Task Manager while bsnes is running to determine the actual name of the process to enter as Process1.

As usual fReq beat me to it. :P

Btw, to boil down the steps I did to get bsnes working like a nice, normal emulator that plays nice, normal roms in GameEx:

1) Under your SNES roms folder, create a folder called "purified"

2) Open purify.exe in the bsnes folder. Set the emulator to bsnes, and set the output path to the "purified" folder that you just created, then close it.

3) In Emulator Setup in the Setup Wizard, set the Command Line to C:\[Path to bsnes folder]\purify.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

4) Follow nullPointer's directions above to create a new advanced emulator config for bsnes. In my case, I copied the "[Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close}.ini" file (which appears to be the default config), and named my copy "bsnes.ini"

5) In Advanced Emulator Setup in the Setup Wizard, go to Advanced Config and select the new config you created from the dropdown box. Then press the "..." button to the right of the dropdown box and hte Avanced Config Editor will come up. Go the the "Process Wait" tab. Press the empty box in the Process column next to where it says "Process1" and a file chooser dialog should come up. Navigate to your bsnes folder, and choose the bsnes.exe file. Then close the Advanced Config Editor.

And there you have it. At this point bsnes should play nice with GameEx, and with your standard SNES ROMs. You can just drop the ROMs you download directly into your ROM folder, and when GameEx launches them, all the messy business of creating those weird folders that bsnes needs should be taken care of automatically!

• Like 1