All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

The Mac version thread.

Tom Speirs

Hurrah, I have the first reply... Lol

Ok, I have installed on my MacBook (will test on iMac later) and the installation and downloads went ahead ticketyboo.

so, that's good...

Hopefully tonight I can get some emulators installed and check further (and report on performance).

Tom, can you email me the key again... It is residing on my poor pc somewhere... (Sorry)

Just sent. I only tested windows mame and native sdl mame. So not sure how other emulators will work out just yet. It should launch them though and wait for the process to exit. Either native or under wine. When using native apps its a little tricky with the paths. As Wine does not like the native paths and native apps cant see the Wine drives. Its best to put stuff on the Z:\ drive and GameEx should translate the rom path. I look forward to your results though. Its all very new.

Thanks mate.

Hopefully I will get a chance to play later. I will give other emulators a whirl rather than mame and let you know how it goes.

Well, ok - findings.

all is pretty good on the FE side. The only possible problem is we still retain the top Mac finder bar, though this is more of a problem of Wine than anything else.

So far, I have not been able to test emu's as (for the life of me) I cannot get access to the Wine C: drive to be able to modify and dump data in there. But, I must admit, I have not searched too far to work it out - if anyone has, please let me know.

As for performance. On the MacBook, it is a little sluggish (but only in disk access, not in execution), on the iMac, things are much nicer. I would like to see how a more powerful layout performs.. BlueBalls would be a good start lol.

I want to try out the other Win emus... More so the likes of the DS (well, be nice to play Warhawk DS again lol).

I will play some more - rest assured... :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried the Mac - Version today.

First launch was successful. Wine installed GameEx.

But now the File wont launch anymore...

Macbook Pro - late2011; Mountain Lion.

I dont think, that a Mac Version is that important (Who is running OSX on a HTPC?).

A Linux Version would be more interesting...

• 2 weeks later...

[EDIT: Removed Redundant Questions]

I have no idea how settings are managed within GameEx, but would OSX and PC setting files be interchangeable?

regards,

Mark

Possibly in some ways but it would not be a good idea. Just to clarify the OS-x version is just experimental alpha software.

So I noticed, that's why I am intending to experiment the crap out of it ;)

It's quite hard to find a decent frontend if you're tied to OSX. I just wondered if I had configured it just the way I wanted it, and I would add a PC to the cabinet I'm building now, if I could "port" the settings, layout files etc or had to start over. Cabinet is now hooked to my Imac running dual mirrored screens.

I appreciate you testing it but its not really something you are going to be able to port easily although it is basically the same version of GameEx running under Wine which is windows on mac or linux. We are working towards a native version evenutally.

If you just want to use it for MAME it should be fine and I was able to get SDLMAME running with it.

Yes, SDLMAME it is, and porting setting-files was just a day-dream for when I (eventually, which means, not planned in the near or far future) up/downgraded the cabinet.. for now I am really happy with my current set-up and am fine with alpha stuff... As soon as student-money is in this month, I will try it! And then... the complaining begins :P

Nah... I'll behave, be patient and report anything "useful" I come across...

"It's a Dirty Job, but someone's got to do it"