All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

A different source for downloading artwork?

orlac

Hello

In my rom collection for SNES I have some japanese ROMs and I would like to display the artwork (a snapshot at least) in GameEx.

I have used the "Download Service Utility" which uses EmuMovies to download artwork but I'm unable to get artwork for japanese roms. Seems only NTSC-U roms have artwork hosted on their site.

Is there a way to download artwork for japanese ROMs using GameEx.

I have used XBMC/Rom collection browser and it can fetch ROM artwork from different sources (mobygames for example). Is that possible with GameEx?

Thank you for help!

Hi orlac, and welcome to the forums!

As an end product, the Download Service Utility is the result of a partnership between GameEx and EmuMovies. Accordingly, that's the only artwork source it pulls from. It would be awesome if someone were to write up some alternate artwork scrapers for GameEx (or just in general). It does make me a bit curious ... the RomCollectionBrowser is open source. Someone with the appropriate know-how could probably reverse engineer that badboy so as to store images locally rather than as XBMC metadata. Hmm ...

This is not the first time the lack of Japanese/Brazilian/Other artwork at EmuMovies has been discussed. Basically what it boils down to is that Circo (the EmuMovies admin), does about 90% of the work over there. Accordingly he can only do so much, and only has access to so much. Naturally real life doesn't help matters. He is always looking for contributors though. ;) </hint>

I don't have a huge number of Japanese ROMs, so I simply created the images manually through the GameEx snap generation function. At the very least you can use this method to generate Title and Gameplay snaps. If you'd like to follow that route, but feel unsure of how to do so, please feel free to post back!

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I think the titles that are not included in those sets are Japanese/Brazillian/etc that also have a Universal/US counterpart. As such, the same video could be used for both (although the language/text might appear different for obvious reasons). If so, you could possibly use SkinyMatch to duplicate the videos for the additional region title that you are trying to find a video for.