All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED]Yet another PSX thread

Chaos.Tiki

So I am attempting to get my PSX emulator to work and I cant get either PSX or EPSX to work outside of GameEx.

PSX tells me when I open the emulator "this emulator required a BIOS image to be installed in the BIOS folder. I'm a bit stumped as to what that means.

And ePSXe tells me "this application faild to start because zlib.dll could not be found. Try reinstalling the program"

I'm a complete noob when it comes to PS emulators. And any help would be appreciated.

I think you may need to visit the emulator support forums to see if anyone else encountered the same. BIOS is Basic Input Output System and often required to run some ROMs. Unfortunately, we cannot help you obtain them here (kinda like ROMS, they are not legal) hence referring you to the emulator site.

It told me about the BIOS when simply trying to open the emulator outside of gameex. So I assume the system needs it to run.

Ok, so I got the BIOS and the PSX emulator works, but it wont load the Breath of Fire 3 rom I have. I see 3 files for the rom, and not sure what to do from there.

What extension are they?

PS BoF 3 only works if you set the controller to a normal (not analog) PS controller in pSX. DualShock mode doesn't work. :)

I'm pretty sure it needs the BIN file, maybe it is the CUE file. Mine are compressed so IDK offhand.

It seems that PSX didnt like the files. I managed to get another game to work that used different file types. So now that I can get a few games working, I would say this is resolved but I'm sure more questions will arise. So I'm hesitant to mark it as such.

I've found it to be very beneficial to leverage an image verification tool against my disc images. ClrMamePro is what I use, but I believe RomCenter would also work perfectly well in this capacity. You can find verification DATs through Redump.org (my preference) and TOSEC.

Here's a handy guide for using ClrMamePro in the event that you've never tried it out.

Once you've verified your disc images it becomes a bit easier to determine whether there's a problem with the emulator or with your disc image (although only a bit). ;)

In the future, when you choose to download an emulator from inside the Gameex setup wizard just look at the full line for the emulator. When you mark the little box with the check, in relation to which emulator you wish to download. Look a little further right and it'll tell you which files (ie: BIOS) are needed to run that specific emulator. I struggled with this forever. The only thing you really have to do from there is find out where the file goes once you download it. It seems like most of the emulator require some sort of BIOS files.

Just wait until you try installing PinMAME, Future Pinball and Visual Pinball.

• 3 weeks later...

From the look of that log, it looks like you're still launching a cue file. It seems counter intuitive, but I'd try changing your ROM filter to *.bin and try again. I'm guessing that you'll get better results. There is a potential aesthetic issue with setting up your filter this way, but let's see if it works first, and we'll cross that bridge when we get there. ;)

Whoa, wait a tic … Do you have psxfin.exe located in the root of your C drive (C:\psxfin.exe)? If not, it appears that your working path may be incorrectly configured. All the same, would you mind uploading a copy of your Emulator config for this one?

Your log doesn't read that way, it says you have psxfin in c:\ or its trying to launch from there.

You double checked that config?

Where would i locate the emulator config?

If you go to the Emulator Selection screen in the Setup Wizard you'll see a column of 6 buttons in between the two "main" panels. The bottom button in that column is the Export Emulator(s) button. So you highlight the emulator you'd like to export in the left hand panel and press the Export Emulator(s) button. It will then prompt you as to where you'd like to save the file. It's that file that you would upload here.

If you want to save a step though, just verify that your working path for that emulator is pointed where you think it is, since as Adultery points out your log indicates that GameEx is looking for the emulator in the root of your C: drive.

Huh, curiouser and curiuoser (as they say).

Well there's definitely some sort of disconnect between what's in your config and what GameEx is trying to do (according to your log). Your config seems to be in order, so I'm starting to run out of clear cut suggestions. Here are a few things to check (I apologize if some of these seem like dumb questions):

• Verify that C:\Emulators\pSX really does contain psxfin.exe. (It probably does, but just to be sure)

• I notice that you're using a map file. Do you get the same results if you don't use the map file?

• Have you made any modifications to the [Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close) file?

Hopefully we can get this working for you. Maybe someone else will see something in that config that I'm overlooking.

Edit: If it helps, here's a copy my working config for pSX. It's pretty similar to yours (with the exception of paths of course, and a few other settings). Obviously this won't work for you as is, but you can use it to compare settings in your own config.

[Emulator]

Enabled=True

System=Sony Playstation

Category=Console

Emulator=pSX

Version=1.13

Rating=8.2

DownloadUrl=http://www.gamesdbase.com/setupwizard/emulators/download/pSX.7z

RequiredFiles=scph1001.bin (512kb)

Website=http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

Info=Sony Playstation Emulator

TitleText=Sony Playstation

StartPageName=[Console] Sony Playstation (pSX)

StartPageLogo=Sony Playstation

Command=psxfin.exe -f "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

RomFilter=*.bin

Database=[Console] Sony Playstation

ConfigFile=

MapFile=

RomPath=E:\Emulation\Roms\Sony_PlayStation[RE]\pSX

SnapPath=E:\Emulation\Assets\Sony_Playstation\pSX\Snap

TitlePath=E:\Emulation\Assets\Sony_Playstation\pSX\Title

BoxPath=E:\Emulation\Assets\Sony_Playstation\pSX\Box

CartPath=

ManualPath=E:\Emulation\Assets\Sony_Playstation\pSX\Manual

ControlPanelPath=E:\Emulation\Assets\Sony_Playstation\pSX\Controls\Console_Sony_PSX.png

WorkingPath=E:\Emulation\Emulators\pSX v1.13

MapKeys=True

WaitBeforeKeys=

SendKeys=

ReplaceDash=False

ReplaceUnder=True

Capitals=False

RemoveBrackets=True

ShowDesktop=True

Debug=False

AlsoLaunch=

LaunchBefore=start "" "E:\Emulation\Emulators\pSX v1.13\batch\PSX_Startup.lnk" "[ROM]"

LaunchAfter=start "" "E:\Emulation\Emulators\pSX v1.13\batch\PSXExit.lnk"

ExcludedFiles=

CustomBackground=

PlayMusic=False

DontShowInfo=False

PlaySelectionMusic=False

SelectionMusicFolder=

PCGame=False

GamesIn7Zips=True

PlayInScreenSaver=False

ShowMostPlayed=True

RandomMostPlayed=True