All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Newbie-in-learning: image for one particular game won't show

Juggalo

Hi,

I've been trying out GameEx on my desktop PC for a couple of weeks now before buying my future HTPC. Just want to master to basics before spending.

I've noticed that I don't see any preview picture when highlighting the Atari 2600 game: Yar's Revenge. My paths are good since I see other images for other games and I made sure there was a Snap image for this game.

I've tried renaming my image file to the same name as the ROM and also trying out with a different version of the ROM, but no success so far.

The only hint I got by searching the forum is to look at my log, but I don't see anything unusual in it.

23:05:13.9 2012-06-16: Validating: Emulator_1: Snap Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Download Service\Atari_2600\Snap

23:05:13.9 2012-06-16: Validating: Emulator_1: Control Panel Path: C:\Assets\Atari 2600\Controls

23:05:13.9 2012-06-16: Validating: Emulator_1: Database: [Console] Atari 2600

23:05:13.9 2012-06-16: Validating: Emulator_1: Box Art Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Download Service\Atari_2600\Box

23:05:13.9 2012-06-16: Validating: Emulator_1: Cart Art Path: C:\Assets\Atari 2600\Cartridges

23:05:14.0 2012-06-16: Validating: Emulator_1: Manual Path: C:\Assets\Atari 2600\Manuals

Does someone has any hint for me ? I'm not sure if the problem is with GameEx, my artwork or my ROM. I've also opened the GameEx Atari 2600 database the see inside it and Yar's Revenge is there. I'm really clueless how I can make sure that my games have their art content properly linked.

Thank you in advance,

Carl

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I've tried renaming my image file to the same name as the ROM and also trying out with a different version of the ROM, but no success so far.

Although GameEx applies a "best naming match" criteria, it's better to make sure all your artwork has the same name as the ROMS.

About your issue:

Are you using a GoodMERGE set? If so, check the roms inside the archive for naming discrepancies.

But my best guess is to take another screenshot and replace. Probably something is wrong with the image.

Regards,

Alpha.

Oh my god! I'm newbier than I thought! I figured out by rechecking the database.

I always took for granted that this game was called Yar's Revenge, but it's in fact Yars' Revenge. Never noticed the difference!

Here is the explanation, so for anybody else who might read this: if your paths are good and your files named the same as your ROMs, there shouldn't be any problem.

Thank you AlphaUMi for your answer which eventually lead to the resolution.

Edit: Still searching, but I can't seem to find the function to edit my topic title and add the [RESOLVED] keyword in it. I'll continue my search, but if an admin sees this, he/she may want to do it. Thanks.

Edit #2: Found it: you have to click on "Use Full Editor" when editing your initial post and you will see the topic title and be able to change it.