All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Gameex and pSX v1.13

Kincaid

I installed psx v1.13 and it is working fine when i start the emulater directly and load the cd images but when i start it via gameex i get a message about cue file not working. Are there any special settings i have to set? I just downloaded the emu, i didnt change anything.

Commandline:

Psxfin.exe -f "[rompath\romfile]"

I didnt change anything.

How can i start the bin in gameex?

Simply change the filter to only show the bin and that's what will be used to start game.

Example:

*.bin

In order to launch a .bin from GameEx you'll want to change your Rom Filter setting from *.cue to *.bin. That’s worth having a look at if you want to mount images directly through the emulator itself, but let’s also have a look at that command line.

I believe recently the more common advice for mounting disc images has been to use the [-VIRTUALDRIVE-] feature (or the less common [VIRTUALDRIVE]:\ variant) which will mount your image to a DaemonTools virtual drive. If you’d like to go that route, you can probably leave your ROM filter as is, but you’ll need to configure pSX to read from the DaemonTools drive. If you do go this route your command line will look like this:

Psxfin.exe -f [-VIRTUALDRIVE-]

In all honesty I’d probably give the first option a shot before trying out the second one, since you won’t need to change your existing command line in order to test it. All the same, I think the power-users are mostly recommending the second option these days, so that choice is up to you.

Edit: Naturally fReq beat me to the punch here! :P

Edited by nullPointer

Maybe I'm just old school... isn't it

"[RomPath]\[RomFile]" ?

Im sure that would work as the emulator supports those images directly. However they are obviosly using the Gamex virtual drive support and mounting the image and then PSX is looking for the drive letter where the game is supported. This would work well for SSF that does not support Image file directly.

Right, but the OP's setup says "[rompath\romfile]" which GameEx wouldn't pick up since it's not written right (unless Tom added a flag for it and I missed it). Not sure why the need for the virtual drive at all if pSX supports bin/cue already?

Maybe I'm missing somehing?

Yep, I think you nailed it Adultery. Nice work! The .cue files (or .bin files for that matter) should work fine once that command line is fixed up.

I wasn't suggesting it would be necessary for the OP to use the virtual drive, merely pointing out the alternative, as I think it's a pretty good one.

I "googled" about and it landed me here. Lawrence was nice enough to post his working GameEx emulator config for pSX v 1.13

Command=psxfin.exe -f "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" is correct based on this.

@Kincaid - If you would be so kind as to load the GameEx Setup Wizard, go to the Emulator Selection Page, Highlight the pSX emulator in the left column and click the Export Emulator button (last button in the center row of buttons) and attach a copy in reply to this thread? Thanks!

I converted a bin to cdz and deleted bin and cue, i still get the same error.

Never mind! The games aren't running well at all, sound glitches, slow downs etc. I'll stick with the classic pre playstation consoles. There are still enough games to play. :)

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Use ePSXe? I only recently heard of pSX, and after researching it doesn't appear it was updated recently at all, and still has some bugs with popular games. ePSXe takes a little to configure with good sound/video plugins, but I was able to play plenty of games.

Anyone else care to chime in about which is better?

I am just saying maybe try another emulator. Slowdowns could be your PC though, unfortunately.

The OP stated the emulator works fine and loads his images when ran independently. It must be his config.

I agree ePSXe runs just about every game I throw at it, and once configured, blends seamlessly with GamEx.

I also make sure I test every game on my system independently with its emulator before implementing with GamEx. This makes it easier to troubleshoot if problems arise.

As everyone should, djour. One of the most common "new to emulation and frontends" mistakes is expecting everything to run right out of the box without configuring and running the games through the emulator first, setup paths and run through GameEx second.

One thing that might help would be for us to update and centralize the resources for the various emulators. While I am probably one of the least experienced of the admins and mods when it comes to knowing exactly how things should be setup within the emulators and withing GameEx, I would be glad to oversee and assist in creating the documentation needed for some of the more frequently used emulators. I don't think it would be too much of an undertaking if we divide and conquer them and get the documentation (with images - even better) and compile them into .pdfs. to add to the product tutorials section and a pinned section within the forums.

I think that's a fantastic idea! I'd also mention that it might be helpful to draw up some documentation for some of the more common tools and utilities as well (ClrMamePro and/or RomCenter come to mind). Good call Draco!

I converted a bin to cdz and deleted bin and cue, i still get the same error.

Never mind! The games aren't running well at all, sound glitches, slow downs etc.

I dunno, sounds like a bad rip to me (or a system that's lacking). Either that or the disc image got hosed during conversion (and may have been corrupt in the first place). Either way seems like verifying the image wouldn't hurt. OTOH, I get a bit OCD about verifying all my ROMs and images, so maybe I'm biased ;). As djour points out it's just one more variable to exclude in the event that troubleshooting becomes necessary (as it has apparently).

As i said, the roms start when i load them via psx directly, so i think they must be ok.

I didnt blame the emulator for the slowdowns, i'm pretty sure its my system. I have the asus e35m1-i deluxe, 1.6ghz dualcore and hd6310 graphics, both onboard plus 2gb ram. But why should i bother with setting up an emulator when my system isnt strong enough? I could try and set it up untill gameex starts the roms and maybe i can fix the problems with the sound, but even then i couldnt play them properly so why should i invest my time?

And for psx vs epsxe: this is funny. I tried epsxe first and it didnt worked with gameex. I searched for a solution and the most Common answer i read was "try psx, it works much better than epsxe". :)

There could be some settings in your psx config, and, some tweaks to be made in your GameEx config that might make it worth your time, hence why you were initially asked for an export & submission of your psx emulator config, and, if you are still interested, your gameex.ini file. I don't know much about the Playstation emulators, but there are plenty here in the forums that may be of help.. assuming you may still be interested (which I assume might be the case since you are still responding and lurking in the thread! :ph34r: ).