All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Kill Xpadder.exe onlaunch & run Xpadder.exe onexit

DazzleHP

Hi all,

Relatively new to the forum but been using GameEx for around 2 years and have finally gotten close to my ultimate HTPC-Gamebox setup! =D

However there is one thing i need to crack to realise my ultimate-box-of-awesomeness, here goes:

So here is my setup, i am using XBMC as shell and GameEx is launched via XBMC. This is where my knowledge is lacking:- i use Xpadder entirely to control XBMC which is perfect as i have no remote but i would really like to have it terminated when i launch GameEx. I noticed in the gameex config there is a "Launch On Exit" but no terminate or "kill" on launch. I'm sure it can be done but my knowledge of windows commands is a bit dire (i'm more of a linux man ^^), so, if it can be done how would one go about it? Can i do it simply with a modified GameEx shortcut and if so what params should i add?

RESOLUTION: Provided by bkenobi

You can simply create a blank profile and load that when GameEx loads rather than killing XPadder. This will result in quicker startup and shutdown of GameEx and give you exactly the same functionality as you are expecting.

Then, if at some point you install an emulator that requires XPadder, you will have an extremely easy process for getting it up and running. All you will have to do is load a profile for that emulator on startup and the blank one on exit.

You can add a bat file that executes on launch. Launch On Startup (Don't Wait) under tweaks/performance.

My bat file simply sends the command line to kill xpadder: xpadder.exe /C

It should work (although I use the exact opposite config... I use this to launch Xpadder).

(although I use the exact opposite config... I use this to launch Xpadder).

HAHA! i had a feeling most people would be doing the exact opposite of what i was trying to accomplish! ^^ what can i say - i'm awkward heheh

Thanks for the quick reply! what is the command to kill xpadder.exe exactly? is it this:

xpadder.exe /C

and do you need to put fullpathnames in or will just xpadder.exe suffice?

thanks for your help!

I can just post a copy of my bat file if you like. But yes I put the command prompt in xpadder's root first.

I can just post a copy of my bat file if you like. But yes I put the command prompt in xpadder's root first.

That would be great thanks! if not too much trouble. I'll try my best to figure most of this out as that is the way i roll & you've already pointed me in the right direction (much appreciated) but it would be handy to see your files to get some idea of how its done.

Also, if i wanted to terminate XBMC too in same said .BAT file do i just add xbmc.exe etc to it? I don't really need to terminate xbmc as yet but i haven't tried DC or PS2 while launching from xbmc yet :o

Here ya go!

::Exit GameEx, Kill Xpadder
@echo off
::Let's start in the right drive!
F:
::Kill Xpadder please
cd "F:\xpadder\"
start "" Xpadder.exe /C
:: EoF

You'll have to make some changes for your path of course.

As with any bat file, you could easily add in another command line to close xbmc and both will run on execution. :)

Here ya go!

::Exit GameEx, Kill Xpadder
@echo off
::Let's start in the right drive!
F:
::Kill Xpadder please
cd "F:\xpadder\"
start "" Xpadder.exe /C
:: EoF

That is brilliant thanks!! Exactly what i needed! =D Actually seeing a file and the format etc helped alot because as i said i'm a bit wonkey when it comes to windows commands but that all makes total sense thanks alot man, respect. I won't be trying it tonite as it late here but will def try tomorrow and report here how it went.

Once again thanks for your time and effort, much much appreciated *tips hat* but for now i hear... DO-DON-PACHI... hehehe

\m/

It looks like this is already resolved, but I'd like to throw out another option that may suit you or the next person who reads the thread. It appears that you want to close XPadder primarily since you won't be using it and not because you are concerned about the processing overhead. If that's the case, then you can simply create a blank profile and load that when GameEx loads rather than killing XPadder. This will result in quicker startup and shutdown of GameEx and give you exactly the same functionality as you are expecting. The only down side is that you will have a small amount of resources used up on an application that isn't doing anything.

HOWEVER, if at some point you install an emulator that requires XPadder, you will have an extremely easy process for getting it up and running. All you will have to do is load a profile for that emulator on startup and the blank one on exit.

Enjoy!

you can simply create a blank profile and load that when GameEx loads rather than killing XPadder. This will result in quicker startup and shutdown of GameEx and give you exactly the same functionality as you are expecting.

HOWEVER, if at some point you install an emulator that requires XPadder, you will have an extremely easy process for getting it up and running. All you will have to do is load a profile for that emulator on startup and the blank one on exit.

AWESOME! Thanks alot for that! You'll laugh but i've been using xpadder for YEARS and i had no idea that a blank profile would pass input straight through! DOH! Consider this resolved. =)