All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Testers Needed for new MP4 videos from EmuMovies

Circo

For the last six years we have used the XviD format for AVI videos. It is finally time to make a change. I am in the process of converting everything over to x.264 MP4's. WARNING: this upgrade will come with a lot of new content. I just finished uploading the Brand new SNES video set to the EmuMovies FTP in MP4 format. This set is 100% complete and every video has changed. Here is the best part of all this the AVI set that had a lot less videos in it was 4.8GB the new MP4 set that includes 777 videos comes in at 1.8 GB with the same quality. Now before I upload all the new sets we need to make sure there are not any huge issues with the change. So any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Note: these are not yet available via the download service, only the ftp under Official Videos - MP4

Do you need more power to decode h264's than xvids? I just wonder where the advantage would be...

I imagine a little, the advantage is a 60-70% reduction in file size

I need to do an update to GameEx for these to have any chance of working as preview videos. Hold tight ;)

Using 7 here

Happy to report GameEX is playing 480 p mp4 video snaps after downloading and replacing GameEx.exe that Tom so nicely and quickly uploaded.Thanks Tom! ;)

BTW Draco I am using Win 7 and sharks codec pack

@ Circo this is great.before my SNES set was 5.05gb for the 240p version now I am using the 480p snaps and they are only 2.02gb.thanks Circo!

Ahh snappers! I'll have to get on this train too. Lemmie see what I can find... It's been awhile since I fired up CuteFTP so I'm sure my FTP login has changed since then. None the less, thanks Circo!

Once the download service is available and GameEx is officially updated to accommodate the codex, this will represent a huge step forward imo. Based on the posts here (I haven't personally tried the new videos) my video library could be reduced more than 50% while doubling the resolution of the videos. Awesome.

Too often small/independent developers with great products fall out of favor because they do not strive to remain current (or at least relevant). A big thanks to Tom and Circo for making GameEx and EMUMovies the two best and affordable software purchases I have made in many years.

-Brendan

Meant to be constructive/for discussion and its just my humble opinion but I am not too keen on the fades in the new video sets. IMHO it should be down to the player/front end to decide if to fade and it does make browsing games a fair bit slower.

I haven't checked out the new vids but if they fade in I'd have to agree with Tom. When browsing large lists of games you want to see the video as fast as possible. Fast game browsing is one of the nice features of GX.