All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Mame 64 Compile Issues & Game Ex (Very Strange)

Visitor Q

I am running into a very strange issue with my Mame 64 compiled version.

I am currently working with version 127.

Here is what I didâ?¦

I downloaded

"Mame Compiler 64"

I downloaded â??mame0127s.exeâ? from the following site:

http://mamedev.org/release.html

I unzipped all the files into a folder.

I download the patch

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=64298.0

â??127 - CURRENT Right-Click & Save Asâ?

Saved it as "hi_127.diff"

I pointed Mame Compiler 64 to the source folder where I unzipped the source.

I applied the hi score patch and then select my options to compile.

Dual Core (I have a E8500 processor)

64-Bit Processor (I am running Vista 64 Ultimate Edition)

Then I compile, no errors in red.

It creates a file in the source dir called "vmame.exe" which I move to my mame dir in place of my current exe.

I downloaded the hiscore.dat file

http://www.mameworld.net/highscore/download.htm

...and place that in my main mame dir folder with the vmame.exe

Lastly I downloaded and installed "mame0127b_64bit.exe", unzipping it to my main dir where I will be running mame from and deleting the exe provided with that "vmame64.exe

So here is where things get screwy...

If I run vmame.exe (compiled version) from the command prompt and type "vmame.exe -cc" it creates the mame.ini file and then I edit that file to where my roms are "d:\emulation\roms\mame". It finds my roms fine so I try and load a game and my hi scores do not load but the game loads fine. Then if I run Game Ex (already configured) same deal, no hi scores. So now if I go and delete the mame.ini file, update my list in Game Ex and run Mame it works. So I ask, why is this? Is this a compiling problem, a problem with Mame or a problem with Mame and Game Ex?

It somewhat even gets more confusing than this but rather than overload you with details, letâ??s start here.

Thanks.

On one final note this was all working without the mame.ini file until I updated to the new version of Game Ex the other day and then the hi scores stopped working again. So this morning I recompiled a new version again and it just would not work with the mame.ini or without. So removed everything from my mame dir except the "hi" folder, hi score dat & "nvram" dir. I created another mame.ini file (same way as above), same deal, the hi scores did not work so I deleted that ini file, updated my list in Game Ex and it works! WTF!?

If you are using a mame.ini file, just make sure all of the settings for the hiscore patch are set. I can't remember what all needs to be set, but I know the high score directory needs to be right. That's about all I can think of...

If you are using a mame.ini file, just make sure all of the settings for the hiscore patch are set. I can't remember what all needs to be set, but I know the high score directory needs to be right. That's about all I can think of...

I am not at home right now but I am pretty sure my mame.ini file has this information...

# CORE OUTPUT DIRECTORY OPTIONS

#

cfg_directory cfg

nvram_directory nvram

memcard_directory memcard

input_directory inp

state_directory sta

snapshot_directory snap

diff_directory diff

comment_directory comments

hiscore_directory hi

At home on my PC, Mame is installed in the following dir.

c:\emulation\emulators\mame

My compiled exe and hi score dat are in the main dir "mame". There is a sub folder then, called "hi" under "mame". I have nothing configured in the mame.ini to reflect any of this other than what is posted above so if there is something that need to go in there, like a dir path, it is not there (currently).

Am I missing something?

You have the path set in your mame.ini
hiscore_directory hi

I was pretty sure there was some line that said enable hi score or something, but I can't remember and I'm at work now so I can't check.

Please do as I really need to get to the bottom of this issue, thanks.

So I decide to compile a version of mame from all the same files with nothing selected, meaning a 32 bit version.

Worked the first time.

There is either a problem with the compiler, compiling mame64 or the new version of mame 127.

There was a problem with the hiscore patches not working with 64 bit compile of Mame and was fixed recently by MKChamp. So you need to download the new patch and apply it again.

He's also changed the patch so parts of it can be disabled in mame.ini. More info is in the first post here

There was a problem with the hiscore patches not working with 64 bit compile of Mame and was fixed recently by MKChamp. So you need to download the new patch and apply it again.

He's also changed the patch so parts of it can be disabled in mame.ini. More info is in the first post here

So I do everything I was before just download the new patch?

When you say new patch, are you refering to the hi score diff patch?

127 - CURRENT

So I do everything I was before just download the new patch?

When you say new patch, are you refering to the hi score diff patch?

127 - CURRENT

Yes if you read the last page or so of posts in that thread you will see a post about the problem with Mame64, and then MKChamp posts a new patch which is verified to work with Mame64. So all you have to do is start from scratch and patch it again with the "127 - CURRENT" one.

Yes if you read the last page or so of posts in that thread you will see a post about the problem with Mame64, and then MKChamp posts a new patch which is verified to work with Mame64. So all you have to do is start from scratch and patch it again with the "127 - CURRENT" one.

Thank You.

On a final note, after I compile I get this info. in green (only when doing 64).

Linking vmame.exe...

dinput.lib(dilib2.obj) : warning LNK4078: multiple '.text' sections found with different attributes (C0500040)

Finished!

Does that mean anything?

Want to make sure it is not erroring because it take me about 4 mins to compile the 64 bit version and about 11 for the 32 bit.

Also note that I select "optimize for" "dual core" only when compiling 64 and I am not sure if that is a selection of the program or what it is to compile...???

Something is not right because that error is 100% causing my mame not to compile correctly and I am doing exactly the same as I would for the 32 bit version just selecting "64 bit", "dual core" and "Intel Core2".

I have also downloaded and applied the new hi score.diff "a version".

Any ideas?

dinput.lib(dilib2.obj) : warning LNK4078: multiple '.text' sections found with different attributes (C0500040)

Don't worry about that warning everyone gets it when compiling the 64-bit version, just ignore it. A warning is not the same as an error ;)

I'd like to ask for clarification on something.....

I thought that you used the drop-down box to choose what type of system that you are compiling FOR,

and the tick boxes for the type of sytem that you are compiling ON ...

Is this not right? I thought I could compile faster if I compiled on my dual-core, 64bit computer (Optimized for a second P4 computer), but it didn't work, as usual, I can't remember why it didn't work, but when I finally gave up, and left all of the tick boxes unchecked, it compiled fine...

Tempest: Your right about your assumptions although the "Dual Core" and "Quad Core" tick boxes only changes the number of threads used during the compile so it speeds up the compile. You don't actually need a dual or quad core for these options but the number of threads they use are designed to make the most out of the multi-core processors.